My fishroom extension has begun

rosco

What's Mrs Rosco going to call the new horse?

A "girls" trip to Hawaii with the :( Man this room is getting expensive. :lol3:

mate forget the cat ii think it needs another rack down the middle smile.gif I got a couple of spare racks if you need any

I know John, and they look like they would fit. Ever since I saw them I have been wondering how the hell I can get 1 or 2 down to Canberra. :lol3: .

cheers

rosco

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I managed to get so close to completion today it is not funny. I have added treated pine cornice, sealed and "no more gapped" it, painted, cleaned up and now I have reduce the tank rack height, clean the tanks and move the bad boys in. It looks good from a distance (but don't look too close I am no builder and it is a fishroom) but I know that it is sealed and right to go.

here are some photos soon.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

cheers

rosco

• 2 weeks later...

whoo hoo I have my first rack of tanks in the room. Unfortunately they took up a little more room than I anticipated and will probably not fit another 4' rack in the room I MAY squeeze a narrow 1' rack in the but I am keen on having some space to move around and work in there.

here are some photos:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

the reason why I have decided to finish what I started to get my carport back :lol4:

IPB Image

IPB Image

:woohoo::woohoo:

cheers

looking good rosco, i would leave yourself some room in the middle, i have squeezed too many tanks on my fish room and now cant see the fish properly and dont enjoy it as much. thinking about a redesign but dont feel like doing the work of shifting tanks and racks arround

getting soooooooo close now Rosco

looks like the electrical points were more good luck than precission

placement except for the one directley behind the rack

so getting rid of the Ford and getting a decent car are you :roll

love your work ;)

Chris

getting soooooooo close now Rosco

looks like the electrical points were more good luck than precission

placement except for the one directley behind the rack

so getting rid of the Ford and getting a decent car are you :roll

love your work ;)

Chris

I am Chris soooooo close. I lowered the other rack yesterday and with strengthen it today. It was sort of the plan to put them there but as you said the more good luck than precision. My initial plan was 2 point power points but changed them to 4 way this has caused the power "misplacement :lol3: . I do plan to replace the rack with a metal one in seeing the profile of the metal one I have compared to the wooden one. but I don't have a spare 1000 per rack atm.

I have always been a ford man (this is my 4th) but I looked at the SV6 and didn't rate it it just looked like a normal holden. If I was going for a v8 I might have moved over to the dark side because I was looking at performance (oh and I didn't have 70K for 335kw supercharged GT falcon) so I went for looks over brawn ;) .

cheers

rosco

I lowered the other rack yesterday

doh!!! the racks were already the right height...you were supposed to lower the ford!

Pay attention and stop day-dreaming rosco!

DOHHH!!!! I knew it was lower something :spaz::spaz:

• 2 months later...

awesome stuff , i'm in the process of designing my fish room , it will only be a 4mtr x 3mtr room.... i'm not into alot of tanks , just mainly moving all my tanks from in the house plus a few extra 4ftrs i have outside into it and a couple of 2ftrs and just choosing some not so easy to find fish and breeding them for the love of the hobby.

i'm trying to find some second hand timber from the recycle centres to save on a few $$$ ..... fibro is about $26 a sheet.

original cost without insulation using new materials was $880. ... will see how i go chasing the cheaper timber.

when the time comes i will start a new thread and do an online diary.

thanks for that.

I am hoping to complete the air lines, fire up 5 3x18x18's this weekend ( i will have to drive them with air until I can get the cash together for wet earth order. I need another 13 bulkheads, inlet taps and all the wonderful adult lego, I mean plumbing bits and pieces that go with it. I think the order will be around $400.

Then I need 2 large water pumps and a bucket load of matrix to complete the double 4x18, single 4x18 and double 3x18 rack. I am building a 3x18x18 matrix sump tomorrow, so at least I can do all the outlet plumbing for 3x18 rack I have all those bits.

I have had to 3 years worth of gardening in 3 days to even be allowed to get near my room :lol3:

i will try and update my post soon.

cheers

rosco

i dont want to make you repeat yourself mate , but just want to get a thought on something...

when i build my room , it will be fully insulated , and because i wont have all the tanks running off a sump i'm thinking of running the 2ft tanks off sponge filters (for the time being until i get myself sorted financially) , the bigger ones off the ottos that i run in them all the time.

with the heating , do you think one of those oil heaters would be enough to heat a 4mtr x 3 mtr room? , in my area here , i know a very nice lady who has a 6x 4 mtr room and as of yet the room hasnt dropped below 26C , unheated.

i dont know what would be cheaper, running heaters in each tank.... or just heating the room.

i guess the biggest problem would be , going in and out of the room and the air temp dropping.

sorry f or a

nother silly question , but with the air pump ,does it go inside or out of the room? Out side air will be colder , but inside will reduce in oxygen when the room gets sealed off?

Sorry I missed all these questions :shock: .

with the heating , do you think one of those oil heaters would be enough to heat a 4mtr x 3 mtr room? , in my area here , i know a very nice lady who has a 6x 4 mtr room and as of yet the room hasnt dropped below 26C , unheated.

That is what I use to heat my 6x4 with a wall mounted fan. I use a vulcan wall thermostat control the power to the powerpoint that they are connected to. Don't forgetthat in Winter Canberra gets down -7 degrees some nights. My fortnightly electricity bill went up approximately $50 a fortnight so around $1300 a year to run and heat 45 tanks to 26 degrees. I only have heaters in the ground level tanks and small individually filtered plant that are below 4 foot.

sorry f or a

another silly question , but with the air pump ,does it go inside or out of the room? Out side air will be colder , but inside will reduce in oxygen when the room gets sealed off?

The air pumps are not for outside use and should go inside and I am not sure what you mean by reducing the oxygen mine has been fine for 5 years in side.

cheers

rosco

Sorry I missed all these questions :shock: .

That is what I use to heat my 6x4 with a wall mounted fan. I use a vulcan wall thermostat control the power to the powerpoint that they are connected to. Don't forgetthat in Winter Canberra gets down -7 degrees some nights. My fortnightly electricity bill went up approximately $50 a fortnight so around $1300 a year to run and heat 45 tanks to 26 degrees. I only have heaters in the ground level tanks and small individually filtered plant that are below 4 foot.

sorry f or a

another silly question , but with the air pump ,does it go inside or out of the room? Out side air will be colder , but inside will reduce in oxygen when the room gets sealed off?

The air pumps are not for outside use and should go inside and I am not sure what you mean by reducing the oxygen mine has been fine for 5 years in side.

cheers

rosco

it's all good , thanks for the replies , you answered everything perfectly ! :thumbup:

I have my airpump on top of the fishroom (but still under the garage roof hence protected).

This way it pumps 'fresh' air in rather than recycling the air in the room and my neighbours get maximum appreciation of the noise

I have my airpump on top of the fishroom (but still under the garage roof hence protected).

This way it pumps 'fresh' air in rather than recycling the air in the room and my neighbours get maximum appreciation of the noise

thats what i meant to ask , so hard to do it on this little phone at work. Does this drop the tank temp much?

• 2 weeks later...

hey rosco, i notice you said you were using r4 batts, which i assume are ceiling batts. when looking into some insulation recently i was told that if there was going to be humidity that ceiling batts might end up smelling real bad and i should go for wall batts (which are more moisture resistant i am told).

thus my question to you..... have you got the room up and running and if so is there any smell at all from the batts?

G'day, Gav,

There is no problem with smelly batts thank god. While the humidity in summer is out of control for me in my room (until I install a R/C unit for summer), I have a flat tin roof and my batts are pretty much flush with the roof, thus no smell. The only thing that separates the batts from the roof is that R1 silver foil stuff they use on building sites. I have also used 6mm fibre cement sheeting for the ceiling and walls with that 3 in 1 sealant undercoat. Once that stuff hits the sheeting it goes rock hard. I have also taped and sealed the sheeting joins. I have also sealed my shoddy workmanship with treated pine quad, silicon and no more gaps, but that was mainly to keep the heat in. I still have a few areas I need to seal but it is close.

My previous smaller room was running for around 5 years and I didn't notice any smells even when I took the wall out. In saying that Canberra doesn't have the humidity that Sydney gets as a matter of course during summer. We have a very dry climate so we are lucky that way.

HTH

cheers

rosco

my room is 80% sealed and there is already an 8 deg C difference inside than out....

it topped 30 c out side the other day and the room only got to 26 deg C..

but where the 8 c difference comes into it is , at night ...outside was 11 c... inside was 19c....... and that's unheated... just sitting with the door closed.

Archived