transfer of behavioural traits...

tranced

well i had a few drinks and got thinking (uh oh lol)

i wonder if, certain behavioural traits can be transferred to fish, depending what environment they are raised in...

for example, when i was growing up we had a dog, rhodesian ridgeback x german shepard. and two cats. so lets get it straight this was a REAL dog. anyways, the dog took on certain behaviours, that seemed like it thought it was a cat... it would paw the ground and walk in circles before laying down, after it went to the toilet it would 'scratch' the ground and try to cover it up...

so im thinking maybe fish can be influenced by the environment they are raised in??

so, i put some corydoras pygmaeus and corydoras habrosus in with my gold occie fry. i wonder if the peaceful, schooling behaviour of the corys will rub off on the fry at all?

at first the fry seemed quite scared of the corys and would swim away like crazy. they seem to be settling down as time goes on...

also the fry seem to be sticking together more...

anyways its probably the booze talking, but is it such a wild idea that a living organism can be affected, not only by its genetics, but also by the environment that surrounds it?

i would love to hear peoples opinions on this ;)

I look at it like this. If you had a bulldozer coming at you?? Dont you think you would get out of the way. :shock:

But once you know that bulldozer is not going to run you over, eat you etc, your quite happy to work / live along with it.

Bit over the top,,, but we all have to get along in some ways with what is around you.

Try living with some neighbour's!!! I'm lucky

But lots have to put up with heaps.

I think many of the worlds best ideas and theories have resulted from alcohol...lol

It is a good theory and true of many situations in artificial culture.

However, with the occies, I feel that "sticking together" is very much part of the natural behaviour of these and indeed all cichlid fry when small... Safety in numbers, etc. I think that as they enter adolescence and approach sexual maturity, they will behave just as they should - pugnacious little fishies, with their own personalities and territories.

• 3 weeks later...
for example,.........the dog took on certain behaviours, that seemed like it thought it was a cat... it would paw the ground and walk in circles before laying down, after it went to the toilet it would 'scratch' the ground and try to cover it up...

I'm pretty sure most dogs do that anyway without being influenced by a cat :dntknw:

for example,.........the dog took on certain behaviours, that seemed like it thought it was a cat... it would paw the ground and walk in circles before laying down, after it went to the toilet it would 'scratch' the ground and try to cover it up...

I'm pretty sure most dogs do that anyway without being influenced by a cat :dntknw:

Yep these are traits that are very much a part of the domestic dog, carried over from their common ancestors it's all instinctive like tramping down a sleeping area and covering their waste to hide scents.

in case anyone is interested, i have 16 fry ranging from 3mm - 10mm, in a 12" x 10" footprint. with a school of 5 habrosus cories, and a random bristlenose fry.

not a shred of agression yet, ill keep u posted as to when the carnage begins ;) assuming it does...

Archived