What Vic am I?

YAL05T

Hi, as I sometimes do, I buy things from auction when I have a spare tank and just let them do their thing.

I usually am pretty good and write down what I have placed in the tank but due to all sorts of shenenigans I forgot to do it for these guys and had already tossed the bag.

They have since grown to a good size and had started to breed like bunnies.

This brings me to the who am I question, so here are a couple of pics for the Victorian heads out there:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry for the quality but I did not want to stress this bloke for too long.

T.I.A,

Brett

Hi.

I'm pretty certain it's a Haplochromis Species 44 (aka. Thick Skin. aka Red Tailed Hap). A beautiful fish. I have a colony myself. It's a male by the way.

Regards Cafa :thumb

Hi, as I sometimes do, I buy things from auction when I have a spare tank and just let them do their thing.

I usually am pretty good and write down what I have placed in the tank but due to all sorts of shenenigans I forgot to do it for these guys and had already tossed the bag.

They have since grown to a good size and had started to breed like bunnies.

This brings me to the who am I question, so here are a couple of pics for the Victorian heads out there:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry for the quality but I did not want to stress this bloke for too long.

T.I.A,

Brett

I'm not expert on Victorians, but it looks like a (Haplochrome) Pundimilia .

Could it be this?

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/h_sp44.php

I suggest you contact Aline (chimpimbi) or one of the committee

and ask if they can check your buyer list from the last auction

Do you know what you bidders number was ?

the auction data base should be able list your purchases for

the day

Chris

It looks very similar to my Astatotilapia brownae (it's known by a different name now I think) although yours has more yellow in the body than mine. Mine is apprx 6-7 years old and may have had more colour as a juvie - can't find any pics of him though :(

IPB Image

IPB Image

It looks very similar to my Astatotilapia brownae (it's known by a different name now I think) although yours has more yellow in the body than mine. Mine is apprx 6-7 years old and may have had more colour as a juvie - can't find any pics of him though :(

IPB Image

IPB Image

that is one nice looking fish you got there matty :thumbup::thumbup:

However, the fish being asked about is very clearly not N. nigricans (now N. rufocaudalis). I hope that's not what they were sold as...

YAL05T, I know you didn't want to stress him out, but he'll be ok to take out for a few seconds worth of detailed close-ups if you can.

I wouldn't rule out X. phytophagus at this stage... That, or the "thick skin".

Looks like Hap nyererei to me,, brownae as in photo is much darker.

Is the Hap obliquidens around ?

Hi guys.

Apparently the Hap Obliquidens is a misnomer, but it has, on numerous occasions been applied to the "Thick Skin". I still strongly believe that your fish is a "Thick Skin"/Hap Species 44/ Red Tailed Hap (all one in the same).

As I mentioned earlier in the discussion, I have a colony of these guys, and they are as close to identical with yours as they could be (unless mine are not what they are supposed to be).I agree however, with Andrew, that some more photo's would help.

Cheers,

Cafa :raisehand:

If memory serves me right, you bidded on Neochromis nigricans at the March auction ;)

Cheers guys, if I spent more time paying attention to what I was buying and less time talking to all you guys I would not have these issues :lol1: Not that I was talking either if you are reading this Kevin. :B

I will try to get some better pics when I can, I have been thinking about making a photo tank, you know the ones that are only an inch- inch and a half wide just so I can get some better pics.

I will see what I can come up with, as I refuse to sell any juvies until I am 100% sure as to what I have.

Thanks,

Brett

The male pictured is more green than the photo indicates. I just got a new camera and these were the first pics. I might try to get some underwater (camera is a U tough 8000) and see how it goes.

My appologies Brett, I didn't pay any attention to the photo as I remembered you buying the fish in question but as others have said, it doesn't appear to be a nigrican.

For comparison, here is a picture of my nigrican followed by my nyererei "Makobe Island":

IPB Image

IPB Image

It's still a bit risky though - I know of two shops in Sydney who sell X. phytophagus as H. nyererei. It is an utter travesty.

The most useful identification tool I've found is Ole Seehausen's "Lake Victoria Rock Cichlids" - an early but definitive book on the subject. It is an exhaustive account of known and unidentified species from various locations in the Lake. It would blow your minds to see how many variants of H. nyererei and many others in it - all photographed and catalogued. If you can get the book, get it - it will help.

The H(Pundamillia). nyererei posted by debgrafish is a superb example of classic nyererei, a very nice fish indeed and I would be interested in fry...

I am still hopeful of some more detailed photos of this fish - and hopeful of the seller seeing this thread and telling us what they sold! lol

Cheers,

Andrew.

After I posted my thread about going into Vics a few weeks ago I've been watching this with interest.

I hope more experienced vic enthusiasts contribute.

In the meantime I'm getting goggle eyed looking at pics on the net in books and here in the thread so I've started a little collage so I can see all the fish at once for comparison

I'll share here

IPB Image

Its great to see there has been so much interest in this thread.

I have also done a great deal of research on lake victorian fish over the last few months to ensure that my colony had been correctly identified. I have the Lake Victorian Rock Cichlids book. At the time of its publication the classification pundamilia did not exist. So my fish is referred as Haplochromis Nyererei-Mokobe island. It is in more recent years that the classification of pundamilia has been added. I have inserted a link below which is very helpful in identifying Lake victorian fish. There are not a great deal of variants here in Australia as it is illegal to import from Lake Victoria i have recently been told.

I found this site extremely useful as all the lake victorians are in their current classifications and there is a photo of each variant.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=16

Andrew mentioned not ruling out X. phytophagus.

So by way of contributing I've added a rather ordinary pic of one of my phtyo's. As far as this novice eye can tell the main difference seems to be in the shape of the tail. Be good to see a pic of YAL05T's fish's tail.

Then again, the experts here might tell me I'm way off :lol2:

Given the very limited number of Vics in the Australian Hobby, I don't think any one of us could claim to be an expert...lol Whilst I have had a lot of experience with the Vics in Oz over the years, there is still oodles more I could learn about them - and it is great that we can all put our ideas foward and come up with more Qs & As...

I know some might beg to differ, but I am really not seeing much difference between YAL05T's fish and X. phytophagus. Your thoughts?

Frenzy, thanks for putting up the "collage"! Very good idea!

My Nigrican males look like Shanes Photo

I dont breed these anymore retired my males to the display tank

I do keep Christmas Fulu now

One thing I would say is that the males of both these species change there colouration depending on the mood they are in

The book Andrew mentions is a good reference both Just like all the books that come from Cichlid Press

The best reference books I have found "Another Story For Another day"

But with these mentiones Victorians and I also kept Burtoni in the past All have variations to there dress depending on the moods not only breeding time

Cheers

Craig

My Nigrican males look like Shanes Photo

I dont breed these anymore retired my males to the display tank

I do keep Christmas Fulu now

One thing I would say is that the males of both these species change there colouration depending on the mood they are in

The book Andrew mentions is a good reference both Just like all the books that come from Cichlid Press

The best reference books I have found "Another Story For Another day"

But with these mentiones Victorians and I also kept Burtoni in the past All have variations to there dress depending on the moods not only breeding time

Cheers

Craig

That's something I'm finding with all my vics Craig. Especially my phytophagus which seem to be able to change colour by the minute. My Burtoni male also has differing colours depending on his mood. This is especially true since Wednesday when the Burtoni got their own tank and no longer share with the fuelleborni I had.

For anyone interested the species I am keeping are

A. Latisfasciata

X. Phytophagus

A. Burtoni

P. Nicholsi

I'm expecting some Haplochromis (Pundamillia) nyererei from 2 seperate sources as well.

Out with the mbuna! In with the Vics! :lol2:

Archived