Rack setup

benfarrow

Hi there

so after many years of being against systems, I have finally given in and have purchased 12 2x2x18's and a 4x18x18 sump. In the 12 tanks there are 2 holes drilled top/side and bottom. I have read through the FAQ but would like a little more personlised info and advice if possible. I currently have 3 professionally made timber racks each holding 4 tanks (2 top 2 bottom) but the bottom tanks are only about 30cm from the floor. Am I right in thinking this is too low? Ideally I would like to have 2 metal racks made up 6 tanks each and about 20-30cm off the floor. Any ideas would be great from the questions mentioned above to plumbing, sump setup the lot. I have no idea!

Thanks

Ben

Hi there

so after many years of being against systems, I have finally given in and have purchased 12 2x2x18's and a 4x18x18 sump. In the 12 tanks there are 2 holes drilled top/side and bottom. I have read through the FAQ but would like a little more personlised info and advice if possible. I currently have 3 professionally made timber racks each holding 4 tanks (2 top 2 bottom) but the bottom tanks are only about 30cm from the floor. Am I right in thinking this is too low? Ideally I would like to have 2 metal racks made up 6 tanks each and about 20-30cm off the floor. Any ideas would be great from the questions mentioned above to plumbing, sump setup the lot. I have no idea!

Thanks

Ben

I think 30cm may be a little bit hard if you have to do some cleaning and run cords and stuff underneath. I think the space b/w the system and the wall and between each shelf are a bit more important. I made a mistake of not making enough room so had to take all my tanks down.

Hi there

Thanks

Ben

I think 30cm may be a little bit hard if you have to do some cleaning and run cords and stuff underneath. I think the space b/w the system and the wall and between each shelf are a bit more important. I made a mistake of not making enough room so had to take all my tanks down.

Sorry- I meant from bottom tank to floor. Does the top of the water level of the sump have to be below the bottom of the lowest lying tank?

Hi there

Thanks

Ben

Sorry- I meant from bottom tank to floor. Does the top of the water level of the sump have to be below the bottom of the lowest lying tank?

Nope...as long as the outflow from the bottom tank is ABOVE the water level of the sump you should be right...this isnt an issue with tanks drilled in the side or back but would be an issue with tanks drilled in the bottom. On some of my racks the tanks are only 10 cm from the floor but the water outlfow is above the water level of the sump sitting on the ground...the bottom tanks get planty of water. Water going into the tanks has more to do with the pump you use.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Thanks

Ben

Nope...as long as the outflow from the bottom tank is ABOVE the water level of the sump you should be right...this isnt an issue with tanks drilled in the side or back but would be an issue with tanks drilled in the bottom. On some of my racks the tanks are only 10 cm from the floor but the water outlfow is above the water level of the sump sitting on the ground...the bottom tanks get planty of water. Water going into the tanks has more to do with the pump you use.

Mike

You were taking about racking...... I have about 20 odd tanks......2x 6 ftsx2 x2.... 4 x4ftx2x2. 2x3ftx3ft square and a multitude of 2fts and stuff for hatching eggs.....I have it all on pallet racking which the shelves are not only adjustable in height but you can cut them down to the width you want..not the length as the beams are 2.7 mtr long........but its an awesome flexible system easy to change if you add different tanks and can configure it all differently.....if you are interested....I have heaps of spare racking....will do a good deal for you...0423808870

Archived