Tank to heavy for floor?

luket

Hi all,

I am moving into another house soon and want too put my 6x2x2 inside as a display.

The house is on brick piers and the floor is hardwood timber floorboards.

Will I have any sort of problems doing this?

Any advice on the matter is appreciated :)

Hi all,

I am moving into another house soon and want too put my 6x2x2 inside as a display.

The house is on brick piers and the floor is hardwood timber floorboards.

Will I have any sort of problems doing this?

Any advice on the matter is appreciated :)

Hey,

My house is the same & i have no problem with my 6x2x2.

Two words for you.

*Building Inspector*

A small cost to you now will save you a possible huge cost in the future :dntknw:

agreed. my a 4x2x2 weighs about 600kg so a 6x2x2 would weigh more than a tonne. like having a car parked on the floor. you wouldnt want to come home and find ur tank through the floor.

I Thought that my 6x18x24 wasn't doing any damage to my place until a huge crack appeared in my ceiling. Got an inspector to look at it and he said the probable cause was the extra weight of the tank in the next room causing the piers to settle over the 4 odd years it was there. The tank probably wont fall through the floor, but it may cause damage.

Food for thought!

Josh

So the tank being 10 x 2 x 2 filled with water - would contain about 1000 litres of water - hence weighing around 1000 kg, and you are saying that the cabinet weighs more than that?

Consider a 4 x 2 x 2 tank with a capactiy of around 400 Liters - 400 kg. Thenwe add on the weight of the tank, gravel and any decorations. Say it is on 4 legs - each leg hence holding a bit over 100 kg. On the surface that doesn;t sound too bad.

However, timbers response to load is time dependant. This means that deflection increases over time, and timber is stronger in the short term and in the long term. (almost twice as strong).

The next variable is what part of the floor is the leg sitting on. Your floor consist of 3 partss, the flooring (particle board or floor boards), floor joists, and floor bearers.

If the leg is sitting inbetween two joists - the flooring may deflect locally and actually pull up the nails on the next joist over, or may cuase splitting of the boards themselves. Typcially you can located on a timber floor where the joists are under by looking for the nailing.

If the leg is over a joist so we bypass problem one we approach problem two. The joist itself may deflect again causing cracking in various places, like the ceiling in the room below. This is difficult to access as it depends on the layout of the floor itself.

The third potential issue is the bearers/ lintels below deflecting.

The typical rule that people post about put a peice of ply under only address the flooring issue.

My rule based on the potential for the above too occur is once you get beyond a standard 4 foot tank - get advice. I would suggest a builder or engineer be consulted. If it is a ground floor it is relatively easy to stffen the floor up to sustain the loads and worth the effort.

HTH

Steve

Hi Gingerbeer

Yes thats right .. the tank alone is 1365 Liters full of water and you can add another 250 kg for the hood and cabinet ... oh and i forgot add another 600 kg for the glass as it takes 8 big stong men to lift it , so let me see , that makes the whole setup about 2215 kg oh i forgot i also have a 6ft sump under it and that would have at leased 400 liters of water in it , so that would take the new grand total to 2615 kg. WOW a woping 2.615 tone on my old floor boards for the last 2 years.. NOT BAD.. the timber in this building must be hard wood or some island palm tree because i have no cracks in my walls at all... but in saying all this i am a little worryed now ,that would be like having two cars parked in your loungroom (shannon07 ) ..

cheers hopper

If the house is on piers, then that means you can get under the house somehow. The best bet would be to get an inspector or an engineer to check it all out and ask them how you could strengthen the floor or foundations under this particular section of the house.

Lots of homework now will definately pay off later, not to mention total peace of mind which is invaluable.

Good luck with it and please keep us informed as this could be a big learning curve for lots of people with this same dilemma.

Archived