Running a canister without an impeller

Aquaholic

I have heard of people running two canister filters in tandem with one turned off?

Is it possible to run a canister filter with an internal pump attached to the intake hose without an impeller in the canister.

I have been thinking about this for a while but never tried it. It would be useful if you have an impeller break or ceramic shaft break and you dont have a spare. Or in my case an old eheim that I cant get an impeller for anymore.

anyone ever tried this.

It will work, but also places a lot of extra load on the motor which is running.

So as a short-term fix it would be fine but you probably wouldn't want to do it long-term.

The way to get around it is to run the pump before the canister, and pick up a strong pump that has a large head height. Perhaps 2 or 3 times the actual lift.

This will compensate for the added load on the pump with the canister filter.

I have heard of people running two canister filters in tandem with one turned off?

Is it possible to run a canister filter with an internal pump attached to the intake hose without an impeller in the canister.

I have been thinking about this for a while but never tried it. It would be useful if you have an impeller break or ceramic shaft break and you dont have a spare. Or in my case an old eheim that I cant get an impeller for anymore. Anyone ever tried this.

I have been successfully running 2x AquaNova 1500 cannisters in series with only the last pump running for about 6 months, however running both significantly pumps increases water throughput. The function of the pump/impeller is only to lift the water back into the tank.

In an emergency you could use a power head on the tank "out" line but you might need to keep it cool/wet and possibly remove any "high resistance" media like carbon.

Personally, if I had a large cannister fail then I would use a small cannister (even empty) connected after it to do the lift.

All you are trying to do here is keep some oxygenated water flowing through the main filter to keep it's media alive until you can replace the impeller.

I use the power head output to start my garden hose syphon when doing wc's.

Saves a lot of sucking... :B:B

jmo, hth,

Old Dave

Archived