Altolamprologus Comp/Calvus pair off for life?

gianniz

Hi,

just wondering do these fish pair off for life or just during the breeding season?

Also can they be kept as a harem? can 1 male breed with multiple females at the same time?

I noticed my altos comps have started to form territories and yesterday I've seen a female (only 4-5cm) started to lurk towards a male and even saw them going into a bristlenose cave together :)

I have a 4foot tank with 8 comps and from size/headbump and eggtube I can have an educated guess of having 3-4boys and 4-5girls.

Is this ok or should I remove some.

PS it seems the boys aren't chasing each other rather the boys are chasing away girls. (maybe homofish lol)

Is this ok or should I remove some.

Hi Mark, better leave them as a colony, it's better if you keep 2m and 5f, you need a bigger tank if you want to keep more male in the colony (my Calvus colony, 5m and 12f and they're in 5x2x2) they can breed as a pair, a trio and even 1 boy with 3 girs, it works for me before especially when they grew up together. good luck with your breeding.

Cheers Phong

PS. they're not pair off for life :hug: 1m breed with multiple females at the same time, i don't know, have not seen it before but can happen in the next day and it's ok, i mean successful rate.

Thanks Phong, I remember your setup now :)

ps the leleupis i got from you are doing are great. I had to remove the males as they were really territorial. I got 2 girls I think and they are little bit territorial but they don't scare off the other fish as much as the boys :)

also the albino longfins are starting to bristleup :)

Archived