NLS flakes - difference between fresh and saltwater versions

curviceps

Hi there,

I ordered NLS freshwater flakes, but was sent saltwater ones instead.

Is there any difference between the Saltwater and Freshwater versions? I use pallets for my larger cichlids, but was going to use flakes for other tropical freshwater fish like tetras, rasboras and hatchetfish.

I'd rather not have to go through the hassles of asking for an exchange if there is no material difference.

cheers

in general the labels are the only difference & you can feed pretty much anything to anything - the different labels are just to make people feel good for having a food "customised" to their particular fish.

All brands do the same thing BTW, this is hardly a NLS issue, more a fish food in general issue.

Don't believe it? Read the ingredients & nutritional stats panels

It is my understanding that though the labels on different NLS containers vary little, if at all, in fact the percentages propotions do vary. So though they adhere to the law of listing ingredients according to the greatest percentages first, how much the % is can vary while still maintaining its position in the listing. That’s how I remember it being explained to me.

That means you are better off feeding cichlid pellets to cichlids and marine pellets to marine fish. However, you will not hurt your fish feeding them what you have, so it will be your choice whether you use it or return it.

FYI, due to manufacturing processes, pellet food is better than flake because they are not as processed. To feed smaller fish just put the pellets through a pepper grinder. I do this for young cichlids (where I use NLS Grow) and with some praecox rainbows where I feed standard cichlid NLS pellets.

Craig

No worries, your fish will be fine on the SW flakes.

While the basic ingredients are very similar in all of the New Life products, there are subtle differences in a number of the formulas. Some formulas have higher protein/fat content, some contain a much greater inclusion rate of garlic ( TherA , Surface Feeder and H20 flakes), others such as their Koi formulas contain a large inclusion of wheat germ as carp/koi require a higher vitamin E content than most species. And yes, what Craig stated is also true. Some formulas appear to read the same, but have more herring vs krill, etc., also a few of the formulas (including the flakes) have a large inclusion rate of mussel meal.

Last but not least, some of this falls under proprietary information, and will never be spelled out in black & white on the label.

Archived