heat wave horror

dogboy

hi all.

if you are suffering in this heatwave please take note;

I last checked my fish last night at 6 pm, all ok, i then went out to dinner and stayed at my girlfriends place, went to work today and got home arround 4.30.

i came home to;

20 multies plus fry DEAD

5 of 7 N lelupi DEAD

3 of 4 N cylindricus DEAD

breeding trio J transcriptus gombe DEAD

kind of puts a brake on the breeding programme i had

i can only blame the heat wave. all other water parameters ok other than the temperature.

because i was out for so long i didnt want to leave aircon or fans on........fatal mistake

PLEASE please please learn from my mistake.

my T's and malawis all ok, so far.

Hey dogboy

Sorry to hear your lost mate. Know what its like with this 40degrees plus heat. Had a power outage from 8pm wed for 16hrs. Temp in the tanks were 30C and my home was 34.5C. No air pump for 13 of the 16hrs. Consolation was i had my UPS that i use for my computer, which i plug the air pump into and it gave me 2hrs before the battery died. Had no fans working obviously with no power. Lost 13 calvus frys.

I finally went to buy a generator from Bunnings in the following morning to run my fridge, air pump and fans for 1.5hrs before the power came back on. At least now i am prepared for the next power outage.

Cheers

Eric

Sad to hear mate, do you run airstones/sponge filters?

some tanks had airstones, all affected tanks had internal powerheads aimed at the surface to provide max surface movement. it seems the smaller tanks ( under 100L ) are the hardest hit.

now ALL have airstones, except the ones with wet/dry sumps which should be well oxygenated anyway. got the aircon on, still bloody hot, and fans on as many tanks as i can (10 tanks, 2 fans...not easy)

one tropheus tank still at 33 degrees despite being blasted by a fan!

crazy thing is yesterday i had a blackout and they were all fine last night!!!!!!

I have found that adding frozen water bottles to large tank does nothing to drop temp. the smaller tanks will be affected more because of the smaller volume of water ie more susceptible to temp fluctuations.

Josh

It is more difficult for oxygen to dissolve in warmer water, so add as many airstones as you can and it will help. Also, tangs seem to be more susceptible to death in warmer tanks that other cichlids.

Andrea :)

I have found that adding frozen water bottles to large tank does nothing to drop temp. the smaller tanks will be affected more because of the smaller volume of water ie more susceptible to temp fluctuations.

Josh

If you have large tanks and want to cool them. Place a frozen 2litre bottle of water in your sump (assuming you are runnimg wet/dry) Use frozen water with some ager mixed in just incase it leaks into the sump, dont want chlorine in there! Place in front or next to you pump so the water has to move over it to get back up to the tank. This should work better then placing them directly in to the tank itself.

Josh

If you have large tanks and want to cool them. Place a frozen 2litre bottle of water in your sump (assuming you are runnimg wet/dry) Use frozen water with some ager mixed in just incase it leaks into the sump, dont want chlorine in there! Place in front or next to you pump so the water has to move over it to get back up to the tank. This should work better then placing them directly in to the tank itself.

Larger water volumes heat more slowly, but also cool more slowly.

Take more care with smaller tanks.

I just get water from the tank and freeze it in large plastic trays (~1.5l ea). Add when necessary.

40+ today on the South Coast, tanks got 30+.

Might throw on an extra air pump for tomorrow.

Old Dave

Just remember everyone that regardless of how much air is pumped into the tank it is the exchange of O2 into the water that is required - usually produced by the agitation of the surface area of your tank.

So the bubbles created by your air stones should be strong enough to break through the surface - you can see the movement.

Those with side drop filtration lower your level so that the outflow breaks the surface area. Those with canisters position the outtake at the top of the water level. Spray bars - do the same.

A fan can also be used if you are able to position it across the surface.

Funnily enough due to the position of our fish room it is a constant 26 degrees - the coolest place in the house without aircon.

HTH

hmmm i thought the female guppy was going to die but its still eating and swimming but in a funny way.

it looks like she has an anchor tied to her tail so shes kinda swimming in a 45degree angle. is she going to die?

Archived