tankmates

shannon

hi all just wondering what fish everyone thinks would be compatible with gold occies in a 4x18x18 tank.

there will only be 2 pairs of occies in the tank.

cheers shannon

julidochromis species are good,

sandshifters (xeno etc)

altolamprologus

it all depends on your setup. Is it a display or breedering tank?

whatever the purpose is, aslong as you are willing to do some research on each species and give them appropriate homes then your fine.

i found occies only fight amonst itself and occassionally with my transcriptus but its all for show :)

have fun stocking your tank.

Hi Shannon,

You could have Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis with no problems.

I wouldn't put Xeno's as they would be competing with the shellies for space and are too sensitive. You could try Callochromis as they are pretty hardy, but would think about only 1 pair of shellies to free up some space.

Altos and julies are questionalbe in my opinion as the altos may want a shell to spawn and the shellies will not want to give it up, so something will die.

This is just my opinion. If you have a few tanks where you can experiment and move things around you can try different things.

HTH

Grant

thanks guys.

i've decided to cut back to one pair of gold occies as im not interested in breeding them anyway.

the callochromis that i bought from u grant have just been put in the tank. im picking up the pair of goldies this afternoon from noddy. i really like the altos but they all seem to be a while off. nobody has any juveniles for sale atm. all the fish i have just mentioned are all lower level swimmers so after they go in and get settled i will be looking for something to occupy the top half of the water.

any ideas?

thanks

shannon

shannon, I got my altos from grant and they were 2-3cm.

that was about 3-4months ago.

now they are 5-6cm and ready to breed with 2 of them dropping eggtubes.

check with grant again, maybe he was hiding them from you :) lol

ps grants got soo many hidden treasures, if you don't ask he won't tell :p lol

Hi All,

I would go for the spilopterus. Correct me if Im wrong Grant but cyps like to be in a good size school, and paracyprachromis would really prefer a darker tank with caves, thats when they really show off their colours.

Spilopterus are great fish. A sandsifter but not a bottom dweller, these guys love to hang our over rocks and swim mid tank. They are bi-parental and look awesome when on display to each other. Calvus and comps are really nice too but dispite what Gianniz said, they are very slow growing, And it can be abit hit n miss with them. And should you decide to breed your occies, they will try to snap up the fry.

What about a feather fin? I dont know too much about them, maybe somebody who keeps them can add some info.

Have fun

Ben

hi shannon and fish keepers! ,

all the best with the setup , and grant gots my vote.

Cyprichromis, Paracyprichromis or a small school of Xenotilapia spilopterus would go well with the occies pair.

featherfin would be good depending on size they get pretty aggresive when mating takes place but the size of the tank is an issue.

all the best again and keep us posted on your journey.LOL

kris

i think shannon mentioned that he didn't want to make this a breeding setup rather a display/possible breeder.

if thats the case, you should really consider what you like. Most of my fish I have had them before (except ocellatus) and I always loved their looks and behaviours.

for me, i much prefer fish with characters then special colours.

go do some googling on the fish some of us have mentioned and see if you would like it. If so go for it :)

have fun.

Archived