Has anyone successfully bred Cobalt Blue's

fry_2_buy

I have had 2 of these fish in my mbuna cichlid tank and although they are both the oldest, largest and only blue looking fish in my tank they just will not breed :cryblow:

I have added another into the tank and it is of breeding size but still no luck. Im pretty sure there is a male and female as there is a slight difference in the blue colour. If anyone can offer some advice that would be great.

Yes, They have been bred and are quite easy just like most Mbuna.

You will probably find that they are both boys. There is absoloutely no chance you can sex Cobalts by their colour. One could be more dominant than the other therefore not showing the greatest colour.

BTW, Their Scientific name is Metriaclima Collainos

Yer i thought that was there scientific name but it had changed recently hadnt it?

In regards to sexing them, it wasnt only by their colour although i do agree with you that it cannot be done for them. I have looked at the dorsal fin and there is a sharp curve on one but not the other, also the anal fin of the same fish has some egg spots (I know females can have them too) but the other fish does not have any spots.

My advice would be if you have room and want them to breed buy more. Mbuna love getting it on and once they start can be hard to stop lol. buy em up and get yourself a little colony. I find 2 or 3 boys and 5or more girls is good for breeding. Also you probably do have two males the one with the eggs spots is probably more dominant (but yes, females can have them too)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I have 4 of these little guys and when I bought them I aimed to get 3f to 1m.

Still not 100% sure that I got all 3 females, but there is definately one F atleast as she is holding!

She's a young mum so I'm not expecting much, but it has been 8 days holding now so I'll keep you posted.

So to answer your question, yes they are breedable!

Hey Guys,

I dont mean to hi-jack the topic, but I would be really interested to see any pics of a female Cobalt holding. I have some juveniles, and I would like to see how they actually look when they are holding.

Gee thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bedge & fry 2 buy, I just took a couple of snaps of my cobalts holding for you :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Archived