Transporting fish on trains

Noddy65

Hi all

Im off to Melbourne on a train (yes...I know...but its a bit of an adventure) and was thinking of taking some fish down with me. <_<

If I bagged them with O2 etc etc how do you think they would travel? I assume its only an overnight or day trip?

Ive a friend who regularly couriers fish and he almost fills the bag up with water to reduce the 'sloshing' effect....given that weight isnt a concern then this might be the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mike :)

As moop says never fill the bag all the way up. Lack of oxygen will kill them way before the sloshing of the water does.

The never fill the bag is generallly true but there are a few situations where it is better to use more water.

This friend of mine tried the use less water system the first few times he sent by courier, mortality was as high as 50% sometimes. He then tried the fill the bag to around 80% and mortality dropped to zero, hes been doing it this was for a few years now...

When the chance of 'sloshing' is reduced ( ie air etc) then he fills it the more traditional way.

The never fill the bag is generallly true but there are a few situations where it is better to use more water.

you're still going to find oxygen is the limiting factor unless:

1. you're talking about small numbers of tiny fish
  2. or they have low metabolic rates and hardly use any oxygen
  3. or you're using something like kendon breathing bags that allow air diffusion

most of the folk I know sending fish around via couriers are usually sending guppies and bettas and you'd probably get away with wrapping them up in a bit of newspaper to send 'em (joke!)

Fish packed properly/appropriately should last 48 hours in a bag but I wouldn't try it with something big that's likely to stress

you're still going to find oxygen is the limiting factor unless:

1. you're talking about small numbers of tiny fish
  2. or they have low metabolic rates and hardly use any oxygen
  3. or you're using something like kendon breathing bags that allow air diffusion
most of the folk I know sending fish around via couriers are usually sending guppies and bettas and you'd probably get away with wrapping them up in a bit of newspaper to send 'em (joke!)

Fish packed properly/appropriately should last 48 hours in a bag but I wouldn't try it with something big that's likely to stress

Thanks Laurie

Theyre just some small shellies so if I pack at a very low stocking rate they should be ok.

Thanks for all the advise people :)

Regards

Archived