lake salt or buffer?

gianniz

well i was using sechem cichlid lake salt and i thought that was it. then i went to my lfs and they told me if i wanted the salt or the buffer!

i think salt provides all the minerals etc that replicates tangs/malawi etc and buffer helps to keep the ph high thats about all. is this true?

if so can i just use the lake salt and buy the cheaper baking soda stuff?

thanks

Mark,

You can use sodium bi-carb but it has a short buffering effect in the tank. What I do is actually make up a bit of mix half epsom salts and half seachem salts for the salts and half seachem malawi buffer and half bi-carb. Mainly because it it greatly reduces the overall cost of treating 26 tanks. 25kgs of epsom salts cost me $20 and 12 kg of bi-carb cost me $12. I am also considering adding a kH generator but I am not sure what amounts to use yet. Laurie (ChorryLan) uses it and reckons it is the goods.

cheers

rosco

Make sure you use KH buffer. Low or zero KH in the water = pH crashes = dead fish.

Sydney tap water has ZERO KH. Us with Africans MUST have a high KH, not only to match what they have in the wild but also to prevent pH crashes.

I use Seachem salts and Aquasonic KH Generator on my tanks in the house.

I am also considering adding a kH generator but I am not sure what amounts to use yet. Laurie (ChorryLan) uses it and reckons it is the goods.

Is that just another name for a calcium reactor as used on reef tanks? ie: use CO2 to drop the pH in a chamber to disolve calcium carbonate with an electronic do-hickey controlling CO2 on/off valve while monitoring the level in the tank.

I am also considering adding a kH generator but I am not sure what amounts to use yet. Laurie (ChorryLan) uses it and reckons it is the goods.

Is that just another name for a calcium reactor as used on reef tanks? ie: use CO2 to drop the pH in a chamber to disolve calcium carbonate with an electronic do-hickey controlling CO2 on/off valve while monitoring the level in the tank.

No it is not. It is a white powder, much like bicarbonate, but more effective.

Archived