Insulation

skinny

Hi guys,

I need to insulate a room in a colourbond shed. The roof is already done with the silver sided insulation but now i need to do the walls.

I have a roll of this left over but was thinking more along the lines of polystyrene sheeting.

Does anyone have any experiences or preferences for what they have used?

Thanks

Paul.

Hi guys,

I need to insulate a room in a colourbond shed. The roof is already done with the silver sided insulation but now i need to do the walls.

I have a roll of this left over but was thinking more along the lines of polystyrene sheeting.

Does anyone have any experiences or preferences for what they have used?

Thanks

Paul.

Howdy Skinny

Bubble wrap. Buy it at office works as they are cheaper than internet prices

HTH

Michiel

Hi Michiel,

Gee, i didnt even consider that as an option.

Do you use this and if so how effective is it?

I havent finished lining the room yet but should be effective. Once done you are welcome to have a look.

Michiel

Bunnings sell bubble wrap cheap :thumb..... i used air cell to insulate my fish room. its basically bubble wrap with silver foil on both sides. works a treat so i guess u should have no troubles! good luck

The problems with a color bond shed is that it will get very hot in summer if its exposed to direct sunlight

I would use foam on the roof. The silver lining isn't all that effective from experience. Polystyrene would be my pick.

I havent used bubble wrap but would imagine you would need a decent thickness of it to make it work.

Josh

The problems with a color bond shed is that it will get very hot in summer if its exposed to direct sunlight

I would use foam on the roof. The silver lining isn't all that effective from experience. Polystyrene would be my pick.

I havent used bubble wrap but would imagine you would need a decent thickness of it to make it work.

Josh

Josh has a point

In summer you want heat out and the colorbond will boil. I hope it is white...

Bubble wrap or other suggestions will work where no direct sunlight is an issue. You might want to freak the neighbours out and put aluminium foil all around :lol3: with an airspace to circulate...

In our climate it might be an issue even if you open the doors it might not loose enough heat.

Polystyrene sheets glued to the wall and coated with a paint (with copper sulphate added to stop mildew / mould) to it works really well, but watch out when moving things around as you can dent it easily, ruining the nice clean look.

Thanks guys

Always good to get other perspectives.

Michiel the colourbond is white.

As i said earlier the roof is already lined but i think i will put a layer of another insulation under it.

I think the summer heat is going to be the biggest problem.

Thanks again. :thumb

Can't beat R4 fibreglass bats. Along with the cold it can get darn hot down in the Nation's capital. My room is behind the carport and it has a tine roof and i feel no effect from Summer. In fact when we were doing the roof it was in summer and when half the ws completed the half that ws finished ws esily 5 degrees cool. I mainly did the insulation for winter (I think it is going to be below zero tonight) but in summer when it is around 40 outside it is a lttle under 30 degrees in the room.

cheers

rosco

I am in the process of doing our 6x4 colourbond garage. After looking into it and getting advice from a mate who was a builder, I was told the best option was to use sarking, insulation batts and some 8mm thick panels. The sarking goes on the inside of the colourbond wall to protect the batts from getting wet and the panels are screwed in to hold the whole lot in place. Out here we get both extremes in temperature. 40+ in the summer down to -8 in the winter. I'll just say that bubble wrap wouldn't do a lot here.

G'day all a friend of mine lined there shed in the polystyrene sheets because it was much better than most other insulation they tried earlier. There sheets are about 75mm thick and they lined both the roof (over the exisisting silver insulation cause it still needed that bit extra) and the walls and the doors. There shed is 50ft long by about 20ft wide so they got a good deal on there polystyrene and no longer use the air cond in the summer.

cheers mark

if u r building a new shed, use R1.5 roofing blanket, it will help with insulation and condensation, and to help with the heat in the summer, use a whirlibird, this will let a lot of heat out. in the winter u can cover the hole from the inside to keep the heat in..the problem with lining the walls in a colourbond shed is there isnt much frame to hold or fix ur insulation to. the best bet is the 50 mm polystirene sheets. u can fix them to the top,middle and bottom top hats. these sheets are expensive but in the long run u will save on heating cost.

Thanks for the replies everyone. All your ideas have been taken onboard.

I am leaning towards the polystyrene sheets as i think it will be easier to fit between the top hat purlins.

The only other problem then will be the concrete floor and the double glass sliding door, however the wife suggests i buy heavy duty blinds for this as it may help.

Thanks again. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Cool room pannel would work wonder

If I am to build one this is what I will use.

At the moment I am using the garage so the pool cover is good enough.

But I am planning to put one outside and make a proper fish room.

Will keep you guy updated one I started

• 1 month later...

Hi Shane,

Hopefully i will get a start this week.

Have had a problem with the electrical ( daughters slack boyfriend is the leco ) however everything is sitting here ready to go.

Purchased an air pump with all air fittings (thanks Andy - Vis on this forum ) already tapped into the conduit.

This will be enough to do my whole room as there is at least 20 - 30 fittings attached. Also have a 3 x 2 sump.

I will try and get a photographic journal and post some up soon.

Thanks for your interest

Paul.

Archived