Transporting water to the new house

tinytonez

Hey guys,

Need your help here. I've bagged 4 huge bag of water from my current tank and was going to move it to the new house on the weekend. But our settlement date got pushed back for another 2 weeks. Will the water be ok to use? Or should I just bag new water when it's time to move?

Hey guys,

Need your help here. I've bagged 4 huge bag of water from my current tank and was going to move it to the new house on the weekend. But our settlement date got pushed back for another 2 weeks. Will the water be ok to use? Or should I just bag new water when it's time to move?

It will just stagnate after 2 weeks and it will be more harm than good, so I would suggest you fill the bags prior to the move. The most important thing is that you keep your seeded media from you old tank and transfer it over. After 4 hours without oxygen the bacteria starts dying off, so you need to do it relatively quickly. When we moved last year, the tanks were priority one, all the other stuff like beds and clothing came later!

I would aim for about a third if you can manage it. If it is a standard 6 footer, thats only 100L or so. I have moved water previously in 20L buckets from Bunnings. They have lids that seal fairly tight and you can still lift them. Bags would be hard to handle in my opinion, and anything bigger than 20L becomes very heavy to move.

I think I can manage a third of the water......once I top up the rest do I need to cycle the water?? If so how long for before the fishes can go in?

No your media should still be seeded so you can add your fish straight away. I wouldn't feed them for 24-48 hours though.

I think I can manage a third of the water......once I top up the rest do I need to cycle the water?? If so how long for before the fishes can go in?

Tiny

your not too far away from me I have a 50gal drum if you have a trailer you can barrow it and use it to

move and bring it back to me when your finsh call me 0412582335

Crossback

Tiny

your not too far away from me I have a 50gal drum if you have a trailer you can barrow it and use it to

move and bring it back to me when your finsh call me 0412582335

Crossback

Cheers Crossback, I'll see how I go first. I'll give you a yell if I need it.

Thanks for the tips guys, it been a huge help......I can stop stressin abit now.

• 2 months later...

Just for info, old tank water will do basically nothing to seed a new tank, so it's a lot of effort for no benefit (other than helping the environment :lol2: ). The bacteria need a surface to attach to, and water doesn't provide that.

You are better off getting a small plastic tub or bucket, and keeping your filters running. Fill the new tank with water, add some conditioner to remove chloramine, let it settle for a few hours, add the established filter, then let it run for a few days before adding any fish. I've added fish the same day I've put the new water in before and all was fine, but I didn't feed them for the first couple of days while it all settled.

The longer you can leave it before adding fish, the better, but it can certainly be done if you have no other option.

• 4 weeks later...

I was taking my friends tanks as he was moving so he didnt have the space, we just put the fish into a bucket with an air stone and had the filters running inside a 20L bucket, took the tanks over filled them up and added declorinator in them and chucked the filters on and the fish in about 20 mins later, one of the tanks was a fry tank with about 20 fish less than 1cm and none died. So I guess it worked.

Just for info, old tank water will do basically nothing to seed a new tank, so it's a lot of effort for no benefit (other than helping the environment :lol2: ). The bacteria need a surface to attach to, and water doesn't provide that.

You are better off getting a small plastic tub or bucket, and keeping your filters running. Fill the new tank with water, add some conditioner to remove chloramine, let it settle for a few hours, add the established filter, then let it run for a few days before adding any fish. I've added fish the same day I've put the new water in before and all was fine, but I didn't feed them for the first couple of days while it all settled.

The longer you can leave it before adding fish, the better, but it can certainly be done if you have no other option.

Vis is on the right track.

The biological media is most important. The water is irrelevant.

Once the water is in the new tank, check things like pH and temperature, and provided these match the existing tank (water in fish transport containers) and that you’ve used water conditioner, set the filters up on the new tank and put the fish in.

If you’re going from your old house, store the fish in as much water as possible, have the filters running with the fish in this temporary holding facility, strip the tank, move it to new place and set it up as it was in old house, fill with water, pH, temp, water conditioner adjust, add filters (perhaps let them clear the water a bit) then add the fish.

It is true to leave the fish a bit before adding may have advantages, but remember that cichlids are territorial, and while twiddling their thumbs in the holding container some fish may be getting the scales stripped off them.

Remember Sydney tap water has zero KH.

When we moved last year, the tanks were priority one, all the other stuff like beds and clothing came later!

Spot on :thumb

Bunnings also sell 60L plastic bins which can be used (have moved 3 times with these in the past). They're around $10.50 and don't flex under the pressure - also being black you can transport fish in there (worked for me anyway).

I just get a garbage bag and sit it flat over the top, push lid on and tuck the excess back under the rim of the bin. Then run some packaging tape around the sides and they're ready to go.

Longest trip was from Waitara to the Central Coast, around 1hr drive in the truck and up a very very steep hill. I think each one might've loss half a litre at the most - probably not even that.

Archived