SHELL COLLECTING.

sicj

I am in need of some shells for shellies and thought that this would also get me out and active also.

I am located in sydney and just wondering if anyone knows of any place where i am allowed to collect shells?

Is this allowed?

Cheers

John

Your local french restaurant is a great place to collect shells for shelldwellers ;)

As for the beach, make sure you don't take anything from a national park :no:

I know they were $55 a box. I just want to go to the beach and enjoy collecting them. I have some atm but it wont be enough.

I dont want to buy any shells. I would rather collect them.

Cheers

John

Hey John,

I think it would be alot better for the coastal environmnt if you just bought shells left over from snails that were grown up by humans and therefore have no place in the environment. Shells on the beach do. They provide homes for aquatic creatures, they are one of the building blocks of sand and rocks. Removing the from the environment is discouraged by councils in NSW for a reason. One way to look at it is it will cost you how much in petrol, food, time etc to travel to the beach? I'd say $50 easy. Or you could spend a tiny bit more and buy the snail shells.

Cheers,

Sam

I can understand what you mean but i want to go for a walk and be active at the same time and get out of the fishroom and house so i thought why not go to the beach collect some shells at the same time and also the gf would come along.

I can understand what you mean but i want to go for a walk and be active at the same time and get out of the fishroom and house so i thought why not go to the beach collect some shells at the same time and also the gf would come along.

Hi john

Just think what you are saying.....you want to go shell collecting with your girlfriend?

Must be true love :lol3:

Things we do that we will NEVER do if it wasnt for the shellies

I'm thinking that in Summer I'll take up a new hobby, lighting bushfires.

It will get me out of the house and give me a chance to walk in the bush and my gf would come along too (just don't tell my wife, she'd kill me :lol2: )

On a more serious note, creating environmental damage isn't the only way to get onto a beach. I'm sure if you looked long and hard you would find a loophole which allowed you to buy the farmed shells and still go for a walk on the beach.

If you're not concerned about the environmental damage, that's your choice. But please stop trying to justify it here with the whole walk-on-beach scenario :)

Baz that is ridicoulous.

I asked where i could go to collect not buy so no one has really answerd my question in the first place.

Maybe i didnt consider the environment at the time or didnt think of it but personally i dont think that collectiong 10 or 20 shells would be the end of the marine world. There are more serious things going on out there than me collectiong some shells for my cichlids. If i was killing a whale than i think people should say something.

Just forget it i will go buy some shells... NOT

I'm not entering into the environmental debate...

In reality there are very few beaches where you would actually find the the kind of shells that would be suitable. I regulary go for walks on different beaches and hardly ever see shells that would be any good.

personally i dont think that collectiong 10 or 20 shells would be the end of the marine world.

Me either. I just found it amusing that you saw the need to justify your decision in that way. My bushfire comparison sat comfortably with me because I am surrounded by bush and I was looking for a relevent 'environmental damage' example to use. Remember, some people consider lighting bushfires (even the occasional small one) to be irresponsible while others seem able to justify it. It's not like I'm planning on lighting big ones on a regular basis, or killing a whale or anything..... :p

Anyway, the reason people haven't volunteered good spots to take shells is possibly because they view it to be illegal or irresponsible, and would feel irresponsible for divulging such places. If you choose to do it, respect the fact that lots will disagree with you. So far most people seem to have politely expressed their views and have also offered some very affordable alternatives. Most importantly, no-one seems to have a problem with you and your gf getting out of the house and walking on the beach :)

Hey John

I would have to add that I live on the coast and regularly go to the beach for walks with the wife and kids.

In 15 odd years of keeping fish I might have picked up 10 usable shells of the beach. If you could find a beach were you could 10-20 in a day you would be a lucky man.

Good luck with the search.

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

If you were ever down my way mate I'd take you on a mission to a few secret spots lol

:)

secret is to take a little kid with a plastic bucket.

heh heh

the things a 4 year can get away with taking home from the beach

remember to train it to cry on a signal

Hey John

I would have to add that I live on the coast and regularly go to the beach for walks with the wife and kids.

In 15 odd years of keeping fish I might have picked up 10 usable shells of the beach. If you could find a beach were you could 10-20 in a day you would be a lucky man.

Good luck with the search.

Josh

I can usually find 10-20 in hour of snorkeling... though everything looks bigger under water

everything looks bigger under water

Maybe THAT'S the real reason he wants to take the girlfriend to the beach....... :lol1:

Archived