Thermometers

Robbo2232

Hello friends!

I have 4 thermometers in the one tank side by side and temps vary 5c!

some are digital and some are the normal stlye

can any one recommend a good one?

Thanks

Rob

Get a good quality, non-aquarium one and compare the temperature displayed on this with your fish tank ones. Keep the one/s that are accurate if any. When ever I buy new thermometers I take one with me whose temp reading I'm happy with. I then lay a number of shop thermometers out with my home brought one and only buy thermometers with matching temperatures.

For fish it doesnt really matter if the themometer is a little off as long as it is consistently off. You can get around this by using the same themometer in each location. example if you want to compare incoming water to the tank water then just use the same themometer in both places. I prefer the cheap floating themometers and simply line them up on the shelf and grab the ones which agree the best. A few degrees off does not matter.

If you want really accurate themometers you can get scientific grade versions and these will still need to be constantly calibrated.

I purchased a laboratory thermometer from a local hydroponic supply shop for about 15 bucks. I use this in all my tanks and trim the heater settings to get the value I want. Just give it a rinse between uses. Aside from one of my one hundred fishes dying last year my fish seem happy with the temperature set by this.

For fish it doesn't really matter if the thermometer is a little off as long as it is consistently off. You can get around this by using the same thermometer in each location. example if you want to compare incoming water to the tank water then just use the same thermometer in both places. I prefer the cheap floating thermometers and simply line them up on the shelf and grab the ones which agree the best. A few degrees off does not matter.

If you want really accurate thermometers you can get scientific grade versions and these will still need to be constantly calibrated.

Agree mate,

a degree or two either way won't make much difference, but if you can get it accurate why settle for second best.

In addition, in summer months when tank temperatures can sore, it is best to KNOW what the temp is in an accurate fashion. As then a degree or two might be critical.

I don't have a thermometer in each tank either, but that's mostly because I'm a clumsy "tihs" and have broken them. It is easier to have multiple thermometers than to move them around and wait tell they reach temp, when you have lots of tanks. Provided you have one accurate thermometer it is not hard to buy additional cheap/er ones that agree with this accurate one.

Archived