Pallet Racks

AzFish

Just picked up two bays of racks, the dexion ones i think? anyway, the shelves(beams) dont bolt to the frames? they just clip into each other .. is this correct? the guys at the pallet place said the shelves would hold 1.5t per shelf and that they dont bolt together, im a little worried about putting a 6x2 onto something thats not bolted together!

also, one of the bays i got is 1370 long only, i was going to put 4x2's on this rack, however, i have a 5x2 that i want to use, would a tank overhanging by 130mm be an issue?

Cheers,

Aaron

I personally wouldn't risk an overhanging tank. I rather sleep well than have to think about it. Although i'm sure if you put a thick MDF board to even out the weight, I'd still wouldn't risk it. But say if it was right on ground, it should be ok. :)

I'd also wouldnt risk the non-bolted frames. Just a peace of mind. :)

I don't use Dexion but i think most pallet racking beams just Clip to the side structure! Well mine do anyway! most come with a little safety pin that drops into a small hole where the beams joins the sides, this pin stops the beams popping out!

As for the overhang i think that 13cm is way to much and you won't be properly supporting the face of the tank!, it could potentialy fail under the water load!

Mitch

Thanks everyone, i'll use the 5x2 somwhere else then!

So, with the racks, should i just drill some holes and bolt them together for more peace of mind? The guy's at Malouf's said there is no need at all to bolt them together as the 3 or 4 metal clips on each beam are much stronger then bolts? But i guess doing both will cover my a..!

My last pallet rack had 2x 6x2x2 and and 2 four footers and that was on one span! So i think the structure is strong enough to hold what you want!!! I also think that you should be careful drilling extra holes into it as it may weaken the design!!! Best call the surplyer and ask if it can be drilled!!

Mitch

I used to sell pallet racking, so I can tell you for sure that you do not need to bolt the beams on - the tangs from the beams will be sufficient. Just make sure you use the safety clip and you should be fine.

Just make sure you shim up the rack to make it all level, before you put the tanks in it. And try and use steel shims.

If you have any other questions - please let me know.

Thanks heaps Feldar, much appreciated!

I dont however, have those saftey clips you are reffering to, either they didnt drop them off or the racks dont use them? I'll check later to see if there are any holes that look like a clip will fit into.

Excuse my ignorance, what is "shim" are these the steel bars that run diagonally and horizontally up the frames?

No problems - the steel shim, is just a packer to go underneath the feet to make sure the everything is nice and level.

I wouldn't be too concerned if the beams do not have safety clips - they are designed to stop the accidental dislodgement of the beams, but in your situation (ie not using a forklift) you should be fine. If you are still worried about it, there should be a hole in the bracket that you can run a bolt through.

This is all assuming that what you have is some form of pallet racking.

Cheers.

Thanks everyone, i'll use the 5x2 somwhere else then!

So, with the racks, should i just drill some holes and bolt them together for more peace of mind? The guy's at Malouf's said there is no need at all to bolt them together as the 3 or 4 metal clips on each beam are much stronger then bolts? But i guess doing both will cover my a..!

hi Adam,

maloufs have a pretty good brand-identification section on their website http://www.maloufs.com.au/pallet_racking/p...ntification.htm

it might be worth your while to check and see if you can identify which particular brand/model you have.

You may then be able to establish whether it was supposed to be used with locking pins etc. (or at least know what brand/model you're lookign for if you try to find some)

Cheers

I personally wouldn't risk an overhanging tank. I rather sleep well than have to think about it. Although i'm sure if you put a thick MDF board to even out the weight, I'd still wouldn't risk it. But say if it was right on ground, it should be ok. :)

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Laurie - I have Colby racks after looking at their website, didnt even think to see if Malouf's had a site! :blink

NovaFishy - You say use MDF board. Is this OK to use around water? my last experience with MDF left me with a tank hood resembling sodden carboard :shock:

Also, with the shelf boards, as the tank themselves are sitting on these, should I put some wooded beams underneath the board to give more support? Or is placing the tanks diectly on the boards suffice? taking into cosideration the only support in place are the beams attached to the frames? With thick enough boards, is there no or limited risk to the tank falling throug the board?

Cheers,

Aaron

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Laurie - I have Colby racks after looking at their website, didnt even think to see if Malouf's had a site! :blink

NovaFishy - You say use MDF board. Is this OK to use around water? my last experience with MDF left me with a tank hood resembling sodden carboard :shock:

Also, with the shelf boards, as the tank themselves are sitting on these, should I put some wooded beams underneath the board to give more support? Or is placing the tanks diectly on the boards suffice? taking into cosideration the only support in place are the beams attached to the frames? With thick enough boards, is there no or limited risk to the tank falling throug the board?

Cheers,

Aaron

Aaron - what depth is the pallet racking you have? The standard for pallet racking is 840D, but you may have brought something different?

If for example you do have 840D racking, and your tanks are only 600D, then you are going to require some extra support under the board (unless you plan on using 32mm board!).

If you have 600D racking, and your tanks are 600D, then the beams are taking most of the load, without putting too much pressure on the board. I would suggest in this situation using either some 19mm minimum external grade plywood(waterproof) or some 22mm thick structural flooring (also water proof).

I would avoid standard MDF or particleboard as they will swell if you do not seal them first.

BTW - the Colby racking should have been supplied with beam safety clips - although if you read my earlier post, they (IMO) are not strictley required in your situation.

Cheers,

Matt

Thanks Matt. There are clips available for the beams, mine being second hand, did not come with them. There is room though for a bolt so I will do that to add some saftey.

The rack depth is 840, the tanks are 600 so I will put some timber under the board to support the tanks better.

Cheers,

Aaron

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of timber I am going to go for steel to support the tanks. These will be welded to the racks.

On my 6x2 stand they used 25mmx25mmx2mm steel tube, i was going to use the same for the racks, will this be OK to use?

The room I hope will be finished by the end of the month!

It all depends on how close together you plan on putting the steel tubes.

There are tables that will tell you how much weight a certain size section of steel will take, and how much it will deflect. You could possibly try some steel merchants for this infomation.

I am no engineer, so I don't want to tell you something that may be incorrect, and cause you any grief.

Hope it all works out for you.

• 3 months later...

Archived