Feldars cube tank

Feldar

Hey all - I finally got round to re-doing my tank on the weekend.

Tank specs - 700x700x600H - approx 300lts

lighting is 150 MH, which has been reduced somewhat with the help of some flyscreen - globe is 8000K

filtration is via sump located under stand.

I still have a few small Anubias' to plant yet, but the hard part is all done.

At this stage I have only put some Bristlenose's in the tank - I will be picking up some electric yellows on Thursday.

Hope you enjoy the pics :)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

cool setup ya got there, cant wait to see it after a few weeks of cichlids

terrorising it :thumbup: you might be ripping the plants out quick smart

IMO yellows n plants dont go to good might just be the plants ive tried

(by the way im not much of a plant expert).

also quick question.... do you have a lid for the tank ??? in the pictures it looks like it doesnt have a lid. this could be bad as yellows like to jump!

Cheers guys :)

As far as the plants, I will wait and see - hopefully they should be o.k. - but if the fish start ripping them to shreds, then I will take them out - I may even put some extra plants in to try and overload the fish with greenery :lol2:

novafishy - I will post a pic of the whole setup including hood as soon as I can - the MH light is about 300mm from the surface of the water.

jeppry - The tank is open top - something that I am aware of, and concerned with the yellows. I have been thinking about making up a perspex ring/collar to sit on top that is still open in the middle, but prevents the fish from swimming up the side of the tank and over the top.

Fantastic looking tank!

gotta ask tho what's with the open top?

your going to make a ring around the top to but keeping the middle open why?

wouldn't it be easier to put a glass lid on them and cover the whole thing?

i agree with robbo2232 it would better if you covered the whole thing.

the ring/colar wouldnt solve your problem of the yellows jumping.

i agree with robbo2232 it would better if you covered the whole thing.

the ring/colar wouldnt solve your problem of the yellows jumping.

I think a collar will do the trick. How many E. Yellows have you seen jump out of the water in the middle of the tanK? 99% of the time they can only jump because they swim up the sides.

i think it has something to do with the lighting. because he is using a metal halide.... :dntknw: my understanding is that it is less effective when the light has to penetrate through and object, as it disperses some of the light. ???? making the point of using a metal halide useless....

Cheers

LuNGz

Hey guys - I have always liked open top tanks - mainly for the clean lines, and when this was a planted tank, it enabled me to have wood / plants going out of the tank. Of course they do have their downsides including greater evaporation and the chance of fish jumping.

I am now a proud owner of 6 E. yellows :lol1: I can now see why people become addicted to cichlids.

I hope to take some shots tonight, and will post them ASAP.

Nice setup!

Guys, a lot of reefers who run MH lights prefer open tanks such as this, because MH lights have been known to crack centre braces due to their high output of heat. Glass won't last forever if it's always heating up during the day and then cooling down at nights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to head to one of the LFS and pick up some more fish

I was going to get some Mbamba, and I think that is what I got, except they called it by some other common name, and I forgot to get them to write down exactley what they were.

Anyway, if any one id them for me, I would appreciate it.

These are really beautiful fish, and since I have put them in, the E yellows have started swimming out in the open a lot more :thumbup:

pics

IPB Image

IPB Image

Very nice...just make sure you keep that sand turned over. It looks like it has a bit of depth to it and has some nasty air bubbles in there.

Bruce

Archived