New fish room (well.... garage really)

Noddy65

Hi everyone

As many people know Ive just moved from sunny Perth to humid Sydney.

I had to leave most of my beloved fish, tanks and friends behind but managed to bring some stuff with me (including a wife).

Im just now getting the fish room back up and running so I though Id post a few pics. The planted tank is also underway inside the house, a journal will follow.

The move

I managed to take a tank rack with me from Perth (after a few delays), its a three tier with 2 x 6 footers on the top two levels and two 3 footers on the bottom level.

The poly was only on the edges of the frames, while this worked I was alwasy a bit worried about it. The lights also just sat on top of the tanks, again a bit of a worry....there will need to be changes.

The rack.

IPB Image

The tanks

The tanks were wrapped in paper with bubble wrap and then put in very rigid cardboard boxes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Well the move went well, the first thing I did was cut open the carboard to make sure the tanks were intact.....all is good...

IPB Image

My lovely wife has very generously given me one end of the garage. We have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years, the Sydney house is much smaller than the Perth house so the garage is being used for storage....Im fine with this idea. The photo is taken from 'my' end of the garage. The tank rack will act as a divider.

IPB Image

Now for some modifications. I removed the strips of poly and bought a couple of 20 mm MDf bords to sit on the shelves, and then popped 20 mm poly over that...I feel much safer now. The MDF also allowed me to 'hang' the lights from the self above the tanks. I drilled some holes in and bolted them in....I was worried about them pulling through so rigged a little metal strap to spread the load a bit.

The lights hanging under the shelves

IPB Image

The metal strips to prevent the lights pulling though the mdf.

IPB Image

The rack almost finished with the new mdf, poly and now almost invisible lights.

IPB Image

This is also the amount of electrical powerboards, extension cords and timers Ive accumulated...probably pretty dangerous

IPB Image

Ill add more as the tanks get finished, I havent water tested them yet ...I hope they hold water.

More pics to come as the room comes together. Have some more tanks coming today, need to rig up my air pump and lines, need some more shelving etc etc.

And a final pic of my wife at her new job...do you think she has something sticky on her fingers?

IPB Image

Looks like the move went well, and I like the idea of hanging the lights like that. Be careful though that the screws and metal strips don't make the base too uneven for the tank on top.

I've also noticed a fundamental flaw, and perahps it's a weird WA way of thinking that you've brought wih you.

My lovely wife has very generously given me one end of the garage.
Was the garage ever hers to give? :lol5:

I'm all for sucking up to the boss, but this is a situation where you should be getting the credit for sharing the garage, not her ;)

Looks like the move went well, and I like the idea of hanging the lights like that. Be careful though that the screws and metal strips don't make the base too uneven for the tank on top.

I've also noticed a fundamental flaw, and perahps it's a weird WA way of thinking that you've brought wih you.

My lovely wife has very generously given me one end of the garage.
Was the garage ever hers to give? :lol5:

I'm all for sucking up to the boss, but this is a situation where you should be getting the credit for sharing the garage, not her ;)

True about the garage but its all about ownership...if she THINKS she is giving me permission then all the tanks and gear is all ok..

Mike :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived