Very sad

witty

Walked into my fish room this morning and noticed that around 35 of My Malawi cichlids were dead!! :cryblow::angry::angry: the thermastat in my heater must have shorted out and just kept heating the tank all night! Resulting in a tank at around 40+++ degrees!!

And this all had to happen when i had to run out the door to work, Very upset as all these fish i have had for years and they were all sustantial size. 10-15cm. And consisted of all my breeding fish.

I will be trying to take action with the manufacturer of the heater. To see if i can get any compensation

The only surviors were a few odds and ends- pair of firemouths, convict and a pleco

Witty :cryblow:

Ok well if this makes you feel any better - I've lost 10 L046s and 42 L134s to whitespot in one sitting. All were about 3-4cm. This was early last winter.

The main thing is that you rebuild and don't let it get you down for too long. You can start things over in that tank - maybe fish that like different water parameters

Learn from your mistakes. what kind of heater did you have? was it a cheapo? if so, get soemthing reliable next time like an eheim jager or better even.

Now every single tank that I use for selling on or that has sensitve catfish or the like has a strong UV sterilizer.

You'll probably be depressed flor a while but it will pass - guaranteed.

HTH

Mike.

Witty, sorry to hear about that,like already said one of many things can malfunction and wipe out our finned friends.

Now every single tank that I use for selling on or that has sensitve catfish or the like has a strong UV sterilizer

So the fish that you are selling on or from those tanks could still be carrying a disease but you wouldn't see it because of uv's but the next bloke that doesn't use them will see it. :dntknw:

No it's more likely the UV will have cleaned his water to the point that the disease no longer exists, or can no longer survive. ;)

It is a painful experience, i think most of us have felt the pain at some time. :(

How old was your heater and what brand? Good luck with the compensation angle, I think you will be hard pressed to get them to accept any liability, but nothing loose I suppose

I think your experience and Mike's recommendation for spending the extra on quality equipment is a good reminder to us all that a bargain isn't always a bargain in the long term.

Good luck with the re-stock.

Cheers

Ross

Condolences Witty, Chin up.

a good reminder to us all that a bargain isn't always a bargain in the long term.

Well said!

Sorry hope the pain will soon begone Many of us in the hobby have the same sad news but we pursue and then enjoy. Learning from you we have better use more reliable heater

Witty, sorry to hear about that,like already said one of many things can malfunction and wipe out our finned friends.

Now every single tank that I use for selling on or that has sensitve catfish or the like has a strong UV sterilizer

So the fish that you are selling on or from those tanks could still be carrying a disease but you wouldn't see it because of uv's but the next bloke that doesn't use them will see it. :dntknw:

i would put money on the tank that mike is talking about is no longer in existence. :lol3: he probably put his foot through it and was damaged beyond repair.

a good quality heater is essential....no point skimping on a few dollars (not saying you have), but it lowers the chances of this happening.

i think you will be hard pressed getting compensation, im sure i have read a disclaimer of some sorts on heaters not guaranteeing any "damages" that may arise. you may get a new heater if it is under warranty....sorry not trying to be a kill joy but just giving you a heads up.

its always sad losing alot of fish, especially fish you have owned for years. Pick yourself up, you learn from your experiences and move forward....after all the grass IS greener on the other side!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys, the heater was of fairly good quality , but i suppose i'll be buying nothing but the best from now on,

cheers witty

I had a similar experience, lost 2 severums, 7 years old,all because i bought a cheap heater, i have replaced all my heaters with JAGER apparently they are the dogs bollocks ,do you agree?

regards Neil

Sorry for your loss....

I read somewhere that using two heaters is better than one for cases like this. Eg, if your tank needs a 300W heater, use two 150W. This way you have more time to notice something has gone wrong......It sounds logical..

In my fish room i use no heaters in the tanks but in my sunroom where I've been demoted to.

I have the heater off in the summer and on a timer in the winter.

It can only go on for so long.

The timmers are cheap the heaters are not.

You can get them now that have 20 on off settings.

I just played aroung with what works best for my area/tank.

May help, as I had the same fate.

Like you,,, its not good coming home to a tank full of floaters.

Sorry too hear

Yes, the only way is to hold your head up & be done with it.

I suffered a great-loss many yrs ago with my breeding setup, when on a short weekender.

The colprit was the nephews tho, not equipment.

Hope all works out for you.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Ok well if this makes you feel any better - I've lost 10 L046s and 42 L134s to whitespot in one sitting. All were about 3-4cm. This was early last winter.

The main thing is that you rebuild and don't let it get you down for too long. You can start things over in that tank - maybe fish that like different water parameters

Learn from your mistakes. what kind of heater did you have? was it a cheapo? if so, get soemthing reliable next time like an eheim jager or better even.

Now every single tank that I use for selling on or that has sensitve catfish or the like has a strong UV sterilizer.

You'll probably be depressed flor a while but it will pass - guaranteed.

HTH

Mike.

hows hearing ur loss gonna make him feel better?

Thanks for the kind words guys, the heater was of fairly good quality , but i suppose i'll be buying nothing but the best from now on,

cheers witty

hey wat brand was the heater so i know not to get it?

Hi guyz/galz, I don't want to create argu, although I personally have & use a mixed batch of heaters.

My main 1's cost me $10-$12ea & have had them for yrs although careful work has helped this.

Others $40+ have had same & lots longer than above.

My Conclusion:

They are in most cases similar, although the Cheaper 1's don't fully-submerge, they'll last

longer. Some don't allow you anyhow, read the instructions on any product you purchase.

AU law-(states to manufacter) that all heaters have to be fully-submersable, although

sometimes it isn't the case, I personally don't mind, although must state on front box.

"Its all upto what set-ups you are trying to achieve".

I don't have to hide mine as they aren't show tanks, so I purchase the cheapest

I can. I would always recommend people too do their homework as this will save heart-ace.

Ask ?'s to yourself then to others e.g. what am I trying to

achieve, what fish am I buying etc... as bigger fish will break heaters.

Hope this has been of some benefit to all, as im not a manufacter or a

supplier. Ive been in the hobby for 20+yrs & have learned a little.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Archived