Breeding Neon Tetras

Evo

Hey Evo,

I had some neon tetra and black neon tetras breeding about 5 years ago when i first got into tropical fish.

To breed them i used a small aquarium and layered the base with marbles only. I kept them in stable water conditions for around a week, and on one night did a water change using fresh rainwater. Also, on the night of the water change i feed the tetras live mosquito larvae.

In the morning it was obvious that they were breeding because the males (smaller ones) were chasing the females (larger ones). I kept them in the aquarium for the rest of the morning, then moved them to another tank.

It was then a matter of removing the marbles and collecting the eggs. I placed them in a small net with an airstone to keep water moving over them.

To raise the fry I used liquid fry food for a while and then moved them onto baby brine shrimp when they were large enough.

These fish are fairly easy to breed, but I have found it to be pretty had to raise the fry.

Joel

I'll second much of what Joel said. They are easy to spawn but the fry are more difficult to raise.

Being egg scatterers it's also much more difficult than breeding fishes with brood care (like cichlids).

Dave.

Hard enough to keep neons alive these days - been a while since I saw any goodies.

Lots have neon tetra disease and seem to suffer from bad comercial breeding practice. There are better tetras to play with - or if you are that way inclined have a look at some of the kiliies around. Some luck buggers are breeding some of the Notho species. Cool fish.

Archived