Pleco for outdoor pond in Sydney

glo

I have a 20,000 litres plus koi pond. Has quite a bit of algae on the sides of the pond, so was wondering whether I could put a large growing species of pleco in there. Would they survive a Sydney winter - water probably will get to 8 to 10 Celcsius min I guess. Also, will they tend to squeeze into pipework?

Thanks

Glo

• 3 months later...

i had a common pleco outside for years. i was given it by my neighbour when i was about 12.... and keeping it from my parents i put it in the pond so i didnt get in trouble. the pond was neglected and several years later my old man cleaned it out..... the pleco was still alive. but it died soon after he cleaned it. :(

just try common bristlenose

LuNGz

it was big when i was given it about 15cm.... it doubled in size approx. we never measured it though. i think the main reason it survived there was about a foot of leaves and other gunk on the bottom and it must have lived in amongst all of it. it died the next winter when the pond was crystal clear... :confused:

How deep was the pond ?,

Now many years was the pleco in the pond ?,I know you said years.

I've heard of them living in a deep pond as the temp warms at daytime and willnot drop as low as the temp at nite???

I would be getting them in now before the cold sets in if you were to try.

Thats a large pond glo, how deep??

• 4 weeks later...

Decided not to add anything to the pond. Keeping it a koi only pond at this stage. I like the idea of a big pleco in there but rather not risk it dying or escaping through the pipework. Used to own a black moor - body the size of a cricket ball if not bigger. Found it dead with its eyes sucked out. I would like to try another but suspect the koi will kill it.

Archived