G.Altifrons "AripuanaII"

chevguy

its a shame its so hard to track them back to thier original import sources...even then, as i say, they have to know exactly what they are to start with.....that is the price of relying on money driven importers, rather than real enthusiasts...like you and i
I don't think it's the importers that are to blame, we should be grateful that they have brought them in.

sorry but i will disagree here. these fish have to be brought out here illegally. how can we realistically expect that an illegal product will have correct naming on it? realistically the smugglers are financially driven, else they wouldnt risk the fines applicable to smuggling fish (if there even is a risk, i suspect there is plenty of money moved under the counter to circumvent that risk). the best we can hope for is a remotely accurate description. the rest is up to legwork of enthusiasts to work out what we really have. so i personally think that often the smuggler is completely to blame on the bad labelling of new fish.

and lets not call them importers. importers bring fish in LEGALLY......

sorry but i will disagree here. these fish have to be brought out here illegally. how can we realistically expect that an illegal product will have correct naming on it? realistically the smugglers are financially driven, else they wouldnt risk the fines applicable to smuggling fish (if there even is a risk, i suspect there is plenty of money moved under the counter to circumvent that risk). the best we can hope for is a remotely accurate description. the rest is up to legwork of enthusiasts to work out what we really have. so i personally think that often the smuggler is completely to blame on the bad labelling of new fish.

and lets not call them importers. importers bring fish in LEGALLY......

yes gav, that is my point exactly.....we are at the mercy of the crooks,.... im not saying that that is a particularly a bad thing.....cos, we've got some things out here now, that even 10 years ago you would'nt dream of seeing! but we gotta get the names right......thats how i came to have my argyrostictus...they were sold to me as something completely differant...lucky me i guess, but at the time i was furious, that i wasnt given what i paid for.....

and pat you are very close....geo.sp.columbia, would explain a lot of things...ie "sirunimensis......which apparently we dont have at all

ask kieth to send you the link he sent me...it shows a lot of fish that look like what we have out here.....i would send it to you but i dont know how to .......i wont steal kieths thunder.....but have a look and tell me what you think.....

and as for just copping what we've got out here and not questioning them .....well thats just a stupid thing to say and do......try telling kieth to just cop what hes got and not worry what they are.....

hes been like a dog with a bone on this..... and hooray for that...cos, hes onto exactly what they are......

do you want them called "geos" and nothing else....you mentioned the fiasco of frontosas.....if it wasn't for guys like kieth, we run the risk of repeating exactly that!

It's because i'm anal. :roll:p

Jeff,the cheque's in the mail. ;)

Pat, G. sp Columbia is actually G.Dicrozoster.

Gav,you only own fish that were legally bought into this country i presume? :dntknw:

Back to the actual subject matter at hand,waiting,waiting,waiting. :blink

Calm down guys your totally missing my point. Even in countries where it is legal to import them, they are still mislabelled. Usually purchased as something but turn out to be something totally different when they mature... sound familiar?

and as for just copping what we've got out here and not questioning them .....well thats just a stupid thing to say and do......try telling kieth to just cop what hes got and not worry what they are.....

hes been like a dog with a bone on this..... and hooray for that...cos, hes onto exactly what they are......

do you want them called "geos" and nothing else....you mentioned the fiasco of frontosas.....if it wasn't for guys like kieth, we run the risk of repeating exactly that!

Never said anything about not questioning them... there was a smiley face after the sentence you are referring too :lol1:. I aggree with everything you say and I have discussed ID's with Keith so many times my wife was starting to get worried about these long calls on the ph bill :shock:

I have spoken to Keith so many times my wife was starting to get worried with these long calls on the ph bill

:wub

One thing i will add before the true name is posted,is that people should be aware that this does not diminish or exaggerate the actual specie in question. It is still the same fish we have all enjoyed as the wrongly labelled G.cf.Altifrons "Aripuana II" for many years,it will just be named correctly now.

G'day Guys.

I'm a total newbie who knows sfa about the the whole illegal importing of fish species into Australia, but I have a couple of questions regarding it.

Is there enough of a market out there for individuals to actually make a profit by illegally smuggling fish into the country.

I have briefly spoken to guys at my lfs about this and have a fair idea how it would be done. Lots of fry are easier to smuggle in than a couple of adults. You might loose 70% of the fry, but when you bring in a couple of hundred, raising 60 0r 70 fry to semi adult hood is a lot more commercially sound than trying smuggle in 6 adult fish that may or may not survive.

Still you would have to sell each fish at a couple of hundred each.

Isn't it more likely that the smugglers are hobbiests themselves, want to keep aenough for breeding purposes and selling on the rest?

If I had the financial means I would love to go on one of Felipe Cantera's collecting trips in Uruguay, collect 20 or so Gymnogeophagus sp. "Sarandi" (EX=cf. meridionalis) and come back to australia by boat. You know, if I could get Greg Norman to let me hitch a ride on one of his luxury yachts on the way back, it would be brilliant. :lol2:http://www.aqvaterra.com/cichlids_rhabdotus.php?idioma=EN

Second question. Regarding the geophagus orange head species. When were the brought into Australia and how much were they initially? And seeing as there is a third species found in the Rio Xingu, how do we know we don't have them?

[

Second question. Regarding the geophagus orange head species. When were the brought into Australia and how much were they initially? And seeing as there is a third species found in the Rio Xingu, how do we know we don't have them?

ASK KIETH:lol5:

yes you are anal (thank godness)

come on tell everybody what you think!!!! :yes:

I bought two pairs of Rio- Xingu last year from Slippery suckers where they where described as an f1 import from Germany.

They had there first sucesful batch of fry a month ago.

I shall be watching this thread to see how to spot the difference pans out.

Ok, I am just replying for Chevguy as he will be offline for up to a week due to currently moving house....so you might have to all be patient for just a little longer.... :p

I bought two pairs of Rio- Xingu last year from Slippery suckers where they where described as an f1 import from Germany.

Firstly :offtopic:. Granted you may have Rio Xingu, but the chances of them being F1 are about the same as finding Rocking horse s@#t! If they where bought from where you said, and you bought them as told (F1's) you may want to confirm they are F1s before you start advertising that, especially after stating where they were bought from......

As quoted from chevguy....

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmation at last. :thumbup: It is almost certain beyond any doubt that the species known here as Geophagus cf Altifrons "Aripuana II" is in actual fact Geophagus sp Rio Branco. :shock:

http://www.amazon-exotic-import.de/Galleri...io%20Branco.htm

For those that have links to other/better pics please post them.

There was quite a bit of research done on these fish,not just here but overseas as well,hence the fact for the delayed reply.

Footnote:- Rio Branco is also the collection point for Heckelii,which up until a few years ago were coming in as wild caught. :yes:

http://www.mianos.com/main.php?g2_itemId=186

Who knows. The ones in that photo have lines. The more common ones have dots ont he tail like the photos. They all seem to have a high head.

The photo in your link shows an ALTIFRONS. Chevguy has proven that what we have been calling an Altifrons is not an Altifrons but a different species of Geophagus called Rio Branco.

Well done to Chevguy and Ozarowana for persisting till they got it right.

:clap

Glenn

My Geophagus cf Altifrons "Aripuana II" are very different to ozarowana's photos now and even as a juvenile they had a much more pronounced slope on the head. Now they are adult they look completely different to those shots. (I do agree most of the geophagus species look very similar when young).

My Geophagus cf Altifrons "Aripuana II" are very different to ozarowana's photos now and even as a juvenile they had a much more pronounced slope on the head. Now they are adult they look completely different to those shots. (I do agree most of the geophagus species look very similar when young).

Are the pics in your link the fish you are referring to (not the book scans)?

Are the pics in your link the fish you are referring to (not the book scans)?

Not those. They are the original ones that have lines on the tails. I'll get some shots of the other variant over the weekend.

Great work Chev, ozarowana, fishguts and anyone else who put in the time and effort! :thumbup:

mianos- don't worry about the pic CIXLID69 posted, it looks like a brachy and shouldn't have 2 black spots on the side.

Chev... we should try and get the mods to clean this thread up so its easy reading, informative and on topic all the way through.

Then we can start a thread on every other geo sp. in Aus, not to mention "true" Satanoperca sp. :lol4:

Archived