Which Silicone do I use?

Kazaf

I'm going to build a fry saver, and have been shopping around for silicone. There are many types and i saw once silicone just for aquariums, I asked someone about silicone and he said the vinegar smell can damage the fish. So can someone tell me what silicone do i use for a fry saver to glue on the fly screen or net.

Is it window silicone, or what?

The vinegar smell is fine. Once it cures it shouldn't smell like vinegar anymore.

I use the Selleys silicone for glass and aquariums (it's now in a blue tube).

G'day Kazaf,

If you ask me silicone is messy and less than user friendly when it comes to making fry savers, not to mention the drying time if you need one in a hurry.

I use a hot glue gun (Master tool hot melt glue sticks) purchased from K-mart for around $20 and replacement sticks are cheap sorry can't remember how much. I find it dries clear, easy to use, no smell, non toxic when dry which takes less than 5 min. I've used the same 10 of these that I've made over the last few years with nothing but success. I've made a few, and within 10 min. there in the tank with fry swimming around! The only thing I can think of to be cautious with is when using it to stick on foam it melts so put glue on opposing surface first and let cool for a few seconds.

Good luck! :D

Archived