who is your GIMP?

fishguts

g'day everyone,

as i travel around visiting other people's fishrooms, i have noticed that everybody has at least 1 GIMP,

What i mean is, a fish that has some deformity, or injury that makes it noticable......you know the fish i mean, maybe its swimm bladder is gone or it has no tail..... you know....

mine is a large melanurus that has only one eye.......he bangs into things and is always in the way when others are fighting.......but he still eats well and fills up the tank....and i just cant bring myself to put him down.....

So, i was just curious, WHO'S YOUR GIMP?.......

let me know

Jeff

I have an albino oscar with a funny mouth.

His top lip looks like it is split in the middle.

I bought 2 albinos at the same time, the one

with the funny mouth is only half the size of

the other one, he eats well, but the other one

is bigger and just pushes him aside at feeding

time :)

Maybe it's just me, but i think all fish with deformities should be culled immediately, the same as any reputable animal breeder.

I does nothing for our hobby to keep them.

Mind you i'm talking only about genetic deformities.

War wounds and accidental injuries are another story.

i have a mayan cichlid that i got off a friend that was in really bad condition when i got it, fin rot was pretty bad and lot of ppl told me to tput him in the garden, about 2 months later his fin grew back fully and was eating like a champ, however his fins grew back a bit weird and don't look right, and every know and then he gets beat up in my american tank so i consider him the gimp of the tank,

Two gimps - a one eyed black belt (it has both eyes but one is blind) and a red devil that I brought back from the brink of death after a rather savage beating - he is covered in pigmentless scars to go along with his orange/white natural patterning. Earlier in the piece it looked like his spine was bent but that was just the scars healing pulling his muscles in a funny way.

at my parents place, have a little baliodigma that is shaped like a boomerang. he was released by his mum into the tank, and was fine up until about 3cm or so when he had a run in with a polystigma. found the poly with him in his mouth, and grabbed the net. poly let the little guy go, but he ducked under the rocks. must done some nasty damage as since then he has always been bent. he is a real fighter tho and is still going nearly a year later. he just gets picked on by everything else, and gets the tank gimp award.

Maybe it's just me, but i think all fish with deformities should be culled immediately, the same as any reputable animal breeder.

I does nothing for our hobby to keep them.

Mind you i'm talking only about genetic deformities.

War wounds and accidental injuries are another story.

i agree with you when its congenital, but like you say injuries and such are differant stories...and the big question to you is...............................................................who's your gimp?

My gimp would be my e yellow. He has no deformities but just an overly curious and mischievous nature, always invading the territories of other fish and making a nuisance of himself. Every time i look at him he has a piece of fin or a few scales missing and i wonder if he will ever learn to mind his own business!

And regarding congenital deformities, sure you can keep fish without breeding them. I just have this feeling that having freaks on display is probably not the optimal way to promote the hobby or the quality of your stock. But who am i to say that people should not keep a fish they are attached to, regardless of its appearance.

BTW, has anyone else observed the above trait with yellows? Just that the last one i had was just the same, exploring every nook and cranny in the tank, and it ended up in his death! He decided to check out a shell i had in there for breeding altos, and went so far in he couldn’t get back out, the poor bugger.

My gimp would be my e yellow. He has no deformities but just an overly curious and mischievous nature, always invading the territories of other fish and making a nuisance of himself. Every time i look at him he has a piece of fin or a few scales missing and i wonder if he will ever learn to mind his own business!

And regarding congenital deformities, sure you can keep fish without breeding them. I just have this feeling that having freaks on display is probably not the optimal way to promote the hobby or the quality of your stock. But who am i to say that people should not keep a fish they are attached to, regardless of its appearance.

BTW, has anyone else observed the above trait with yellows? Just that the last one i had was just the same, exploring every nook and cranny in the tank, and it ended up in his death! He decided to check out a shell i had in there for breeding altos, and went so far in he couldn’t get back out, the poor bugger.

sounds like your yella fella's problem is mental!!!! :lol3:

i dont keep africans anymore, but when i had yellows they were always doing that sort of thing, and the shell thing is quite common....shells can be a bit of a fish trap.......

i seem to remember that johannis were probably worse!!!!....just bloody little pests :lol3:

*sigh*

RIP the gimp.

was just working at my desk and heard the sound of clowns going ape over food. i turned around wondering what they had, as i hadnt fed them. there was the gimp :(. they had him between 5 or 6 clowns and were doing a great job of ripping him up. i chased em off and he was still going.... but barely. he just got to meet the concrete, as it was the quickest way to finish him

damn clowns. i think its close to 15 fish they have now nailed. might need to get rid of em. they get nasty when big!

Does a barramundi with an oversized mouth count? My barra is around 20cm and in about a week ate 8 of its tank mates being a pair of convicts, 5 clown loaches and an ompok catfish. I didn't realise it was happening as the loaches would always stuff themselves in a cave alll day and come out at night and I would never see the female convict as she was always fanning eggs in her cave. I introduced the onpok cat which was around 15cm thinking it was too big for the barra but proved wrong immediately and he got an expensive meal. Now he is eyeing off my giant gourami divided off in the tank!!!

Archived