Eheim filter issues

azz

G'day, I am a newbie to this hobbie, and recently bought an Eheim classic 2215 filter second hand for my 4 ft tank. It works a treat, but it makes this rattly sort of knocking noise in the top of it(where the impellor is). I read a few reviews over the net, and all they say is that the filter is quiet, which makes me think the noise shouldnt be happening. :)

So finally to my questions:

Should this noise be happening?

and if not, how can i fix the mofo?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You'll get a rattling noise if the impellor is damaged and needs replacing. Did it look ok when you assembled it?

Also check that you don't have an airstone under the intake hose as air in your canister filter will also make the impellor produce this noise.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah the impellor looked ok to my extremly amatuer eye, so it could be completly screwed :)

There is an airstone under the intake, but that has only been put there very recently, and it does make more noise, but its a different noise.

The noise that annoys me the most was being made from the moment i started up the filter.

Will try new impellor and moving the air stones though. Thanks for the advice

With my 2215 I have about 15 minutes of rattling noise when I turn it on after cleaning, but it will always go away.

Also check that the impellor is pushed in correctly.

BTW having air from an airstone going through your 2215 is likely to have damaged your impellor further.

Regards.

yep, mark me down too for a rattling noise just afer start up. Never lasts long though -- a minute max. One thing you may wish to look at, aside from air bubbles getting into your filter, is how dense you filter is packed. A friend of mine had a similiar problem once, took a look inside the cannister and found he had it jam-packed with filter wool. i mean stuffed hard! Took out a good whack of it and it fixed the problem quick smart. just a thought.

cheers

VC

move the airstone away

and

just rock it a few times every few minutes till any air traps are expelled.

if it still rattling then the impellor may be worn. parts are easy to get. things that can wear are the little black rubber stoppers on each on the spindle and the ceramic spindle. if the impellor is damaged (difficult to tell sometimes with the naked eye) you can replace the whole impellor.

oh and make sure it is assembled correctly, bits in the right way up and in the right order. Check a new one at the lfs if you dont know

Archived