Filter recommendations

taybelZ

Can anyone make some recommendations for a fish tank ( 48 X 18 X 18).

Fish are going to be a South American' bioTope... still got to decide on actual species. But yer, no discus at this stage. I have a Aquaclear 300 on it, but would like another(additional) filter on it. Perhaps i might be over doing it... but i was thinking of Jialu HW-203B 1200lph or a RESUN AE-806 EXTERNAL CANISTER FILTER 1200lph.

I should note that i dont' intend on keeping any messy fish, like oscars or anything.. more smaller and peaceful. I thought perhaps the filter flow would be of benefit to the the Anstristus species that i intend on putting in there.

Please reply as i would your thoughts, and critisms. (don't be too nasty tho :unsure ).

Thanks

Hi,

It's largely depending on your fish stock. As a SA biotipe, I'd presume that it'll have plants in it. They itself will help in bio-filtration.

If the tank is lowly stocked then the AC 300 is enough.

HTH,

DD

I've always been a guy who never really liked plants in my tanks, my mum always keep saying i should add plants to my african mumba setup :angry:

but the other day for my 4x18x18, which was looking pretty bare, i put in a water lily thats been in my pond for the last few years. its amazing how the water really gets cleaned up by having the plant in there.

Wui-Kiat

For my 4' tank, I'm using a Rena Filstar XP3, with the current directed down one long pane for the fish to swim against (if they want); in conjunction with a heavily planted tank (with CO2 injection), the water is clear (water change every 2-3weeks), little algae.

thanks for the Info guys.

fishbits did you find out more about the resun? Ie have many other people had the same issue? I've decided on the ac300 and i got a eheim 2213 somewhere that i might plug in if need be. But thanks for all the replys.

I reckon the aquaclear 300 is the go. To provide a bit more water movement an old sponge filter powered by an air pump at the other end from the aquaclear won't go astray :B.

Replace the AC300 with an AC500, and keep the 300 for the next tank you'll get (you may be laughing now but we know differently  :): ) Age of Aquariums were floggin them for $99 which is much less than the cannisters.  :)

Agree !! I'm setting up my 4x14x20 this afternoon, i got an AC500 from age of aquariums for $106.50 shipped and that includes a sponge and carbon. Add a handfull or 3 of bio media of your choice.......done. I challenge any filter on the market to beat that for value. :lol:

Gutty i'm sure your filter is good..hahahaha.

But i ordered my AC300 when AoA had them on special and additional 10%. I bought them with the intentions of using them on discus tanks. And didn't want a too strong a current. But yer... things have changed. :D

with filtration i always think bigger is better, i would go for most powerful cannister for that size tank, you cant over filter a tank, i use 1200 litre / hr filter on on a 100 litre tank with community tropicals and all is great, there are ways to reduce the water movement if u have a very powerful filter, just point outlet into glass or straight down into gravel, anddont use the spray bars.

with filtration i always think bigger is better, i would go for most powerful cannister for that size tank, you cant over filter a tank, i use 1200 litre / hr filter on on a 100 litre tank with community tropicals and all is great, there are ways to reduce the water movement if u have a very powerful filter, just point outlet into glass or straight down into gravel, anddont use the spray bars.

Archived