He's My New Exotic Pet

Kribbie

Hi all,

I've recently adopted a young male hedgehog from a friend. He's still being very shy and extremely fear of being touched by humans. Whenever get my hands close enough to him, he will just rolled himself into a spikey ball and made some huffing and puffing sounds which showed that he doesn't like to get tocuhed. <_< But anyway, I've just tried to give him a bath last night and have also took some cute pics of him, he's just sooooooooooooooooooo lovely!!! I'll be patient to be friend with him. :wub :wub :wub

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers :)

You should name him Sonic!!

You'll have to spraypaint him blue first :lol4:

How big do they grow?

-Garth

Yeah! He needs to be painted blue first in order to use the name Sonic! But I don't think he will like his new colour though.. :lol5: :lol5: :lol5:

The species I'm currently keeping is a domestic dwarf hedgehog named "African White-Bellied Hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris)". The average size of an adult is about 8 inches in length and approx. 500g in weight. Believe it or not, hedgies are actually quite intelligent in nature as they can be litter trained just like dogs and cats! I have provided a little "toilet" for mine and he immediately knew how to poo and pee *exactly* at that place without causing any mess in there. He's just so smart! :lol4:

Hedgehogs are also very cauious but curious animals, I have observed mine for the whole day and found that he loves to explore things that are surround his housing area with care and extremely sensitive to any smells or noises.

If anyone who would like to know more about how these little creatures behave, here is a good site which tells you everything about domestic hedgehogs that keep as pets. :thumb

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/

If he can be domesticated to the point where he loses his fear i think he would make the best pet.

Chances are he may never get over his fear given his not a predator like a cats or dogs.

Keep us updated id love to hear how you go.

wow that is cool very different do you need to hold a permit of any sort to keep one in aus.

As the post heading says it is kept in H.K. they cannot be kept in Aust. sorry if i burst your bubble ;)

If he can be domesticated to the point where he loses his fear i think he would make the best pet.

Chances are he may never get over his fear given his not a predator like a cats or dogs.

Keep us updated id love to hear how you go.

That's very true indeed. I've read from some sites and other hedgies owners all commented that patience is the most important thing to tame the grumpy ones. Spending at least 30 mins per day to play with it, holding him in our arms while watching TV or reading, or placing an old t-shirt in his cage could help to reduce his fear. HOWEVER...hedgehogs have very short life span of around 3.5-4yrs old in average, and so they should best be kept at very young age (ie. 1.5-2 months old is the best).

Anyway, I will take some more pics of him to keep updated on how he goes. :)

Are these readily available in HK? If so, where can I find them?

There's a chance I'll be moving there in a few months.

Although hedgehogs are legal to keep as pets here in HK, local pet shops actually are not allowed to sell them to the public and so it's a similar situation for keeping reptiles in NSW, but the keepers do not need to hold a permit to keep them though.

If you would like to purchase one / two in the soon future, the only channel for you to get them is through local breeders who advertise threads like 'hedgies for sell' regularly in some of the local pet forums. There are a few people who are currently selling some young ones via those forums, otherwise you will need to travel to Taiwan to get some in pet shops and bringing them back to HK. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived