New Tank Journal

Bruce

Found another stand company to do the stand, they charge $200 less and will deliver for free. The reason why I'm not buying a cabinet it because it won't fit through the door, the stand is just a frame and it will just make it through the door, once you add panels, doorknobs etc. if wouldn't make it through. At the moment the plan is to make wooden panels that clip onto the frame to make it look like a dressed wooden cabinet!

Bruce

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stand looks fine.

There's no real point in the diagonal brace though. If you feel you need a brace, you need to reconsider the builder :lol2:

A welded metal stand should not need a brace like that.

How are you going to get the sump into the stand if you buld the stand as drawn?

If I remove the diagonal brace what's going to stop the tank slanting over like this....?

IPB Image

Or would the fact that it's steel be enough that it's strong enough not to need a brace? What about plywood sheeting?

Bruce

I wouldnt have a diagonal brace either Bruce. My metal racks dont have the diagonal brace

I wouldn't used ply board under the tank incase it got wet and swelled up. A good thick layer of foam on a strong level stand would be plenty.

Josh

Ok, if I don't have the diagonal brace it would also allow me to get the sump in easily.

The tank makers recommend I use a plywood base, my LFS has the same style stands. Their main tank is an 8'x3'x30" LWH tank and they only have one extra support in the middle. Is mine over engineered? They don't have diagonal cross braces either, rather plywood sheets to support it. They used plywood under their tanks for support and have had no problems thus far.

Bruce

Not that my tanks have it, but plywood would be OK for a base. It wont "explode" like MDF or chipboard when it gets wet. Plus short of a leak there shouldn't be much water getting to the base anyway.

Dave

Ok, if I don't have the diagonal brace it would also allow me to get the sump in easily.

The tank makers recommend I use a plywood base, my LFS has the same style stands. Their main tank is an 8'x3'x30" LWH tank and they only have one extra support in the middle. Is mine over engineered? They don't have diagonal cross braces either, rather plywood sheets to support it. They used plywood under their tanks for support and have had no problems thus far.

Bruce

The timber stand that my 8x2x2 is on only has two centre supports as opposed to your three.

Not saying that yours is over engineered though.

If something happens to your sump (a leak or crack) and you need to remove it, you will have to move the entire tank and stand to remove and replace it won't you?

This is only an idea but have you thought about having a tiny little sump room beneath the fish tank under the house? It would obviously cost a bit more for the return pump but may be easier in the long run.

Ben :thumb

I have re thought the stand, taking into account several things. The main ones being cost and getting the sump in. This is the new design I have come up with. As you can see I only have one middle support now, my LFS has a bigger tank than mine with one one middle brace and theirs has no diagonal cross brace on the ends either. So I think this design should be adequatly able to hold the tank. Let my know what you guys think.

IPB Image

Bruce

Will be good when your finished Bruce stand looks good to me.

Show us what you have done with the floor when you do it.

Can you or Phenomena pm me where you guys are/got your stands built ?

As I am Starting on a 6'x4'X30" soon and would like a steal stand.

thx

Rat

Hi Bruce,

The last pic that you have with only one support in the middle seems kinda scary to me but I haven't had much to do with the metal work side of things so I couldn't really comment on its structural integrity. It would make your life a lot easier though only having that single support in the centre.

Phenomena, that stand looks great!

Ben

Ordered the stand this afternoon :clap It's good to actually make a start on the project rather than just talking about it! Should be here by the end of next week hopefully, I will try and order the tank and sump on Saturday which means I need to decide on a pump size so I can know what size to make the pump chamber.

Bruce

Pumps...

What do you guy recommend? I think I have narrowed it down to three pumps, what is your opinion on them keeping in mind the fact that I am not made of money and that a pump can be upgraded easily enough at a later stage.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod886.htm - Will probably get this one at the moment. Right price and good flow rate.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1326.htm- Probably the last on the list, price is better but I think what it makes up for in price it may lack in quality. Also, 1000l/h less flow rate.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod924.htm - The big boy! Was thinking of this one as the price is good for the flow rate, looks to be a reasonably well made filter as well. I think possibly too powerful though.

Bruce

How many litres is your total system?

Whats the lift? (head height)

Whats your budget?

18000 is a bit insane unless you have 3000 - 5000 litres.

And even then its a real bitch to even out the outlets so one tank isnt getting whirlpooled. I have used multiple 6500's with better sucess

The total system water volume is 1250L roughly (assuming full tank and half full sump).

Head height around 1.5m.

Budget for the pump is ideally under $200.

I thought 18000 might be a complete overkill, I think 10000 should be fine.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

The one in the first link sounds good (10000 lph). If I were you I would also be hiding an internal power filter (about 2000lph) in the tank for a nice flow around the tank and they are nearly a must for polishing the water in a big tank. Something like this http://fishsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_...products_id=547

Ben

By the way..... Can you hurry up and get it set up !!! I'm really keen to see how it turns out!!! :lol1::thumbup:

I agree, I think it'll be the first one. I really don't wanna go with the internal filter, I'm not a huge fan of them. Also, I don't want ANY equipment in this tank, even the weirs and outlets to the filter will be disquised! I will probably get a nice big bag of purigen for water polishing as well.

I'm just as keen mate, don't wanna rush anything though! The tank takes a couple of weeks to order.

Bruce

:lol3: Keener than me mate?......not even close!!

I think I have definately decided to go with the Aquanova.

Tonight I will write up a final tank information list with all the information about what it needs (weirs, hole sizes etc.). A friend suggested I get another hole drilled into the weir for the return, doesn't sound like a bad idea. What do you guys think?

Tomorrow I will put down the base coat of paint for the tanks area.

Bruce

G'day Bruce,

Assuming you are going to have two weirs and a total of four holes drilled.

Why not go for two pumps ( as Huzzy suggested ) ? A 7200 pondmaster and a 4200 Pondmaster for example, giving you around 11000 LPH.

The cost would be more although if one ever fails you will not lose your bio filter.

When you add up the costs of the fish you will be keeping, you may find it's the cheapest insurance policy you will ever have to take out.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Mark

Yep four holes overall.

It sounds like a good idea, the sump would need to have enough room to fit both pumps though. As said, the cost is also a big issue.

I agree with you though, could be the safest option.

Bruce

Just a quick point bruce, I have a stand that high and it's a real pain cleaning and maintaining it. Make sure you wire light switches into the cords because unless you are 7' it's annoying turning the lights on/off all the time.

It is a good height for viewing though.

Cheers

Mick

The suggestion that Mark made is a very valid one, the combination is about 11400 with both pumps. The big question is, what size outlets would I need to cope with that flow rate? Would two 25mm bulkheads be ok?

I will be investing in some powerboards to sit underneath the tank, all labelled with every plug having an individual switch so all I have to do is open the cabinet and switch off there.

Bruce

Just a quick point bruce, I have a stand that high and it's a real pain cleaning and maintaining it. Make sure you wire light switches into the cords because unless you are 7' it's annoying turning the lights on/off all the time.

It is a good height for viewing though.

Cheers

Mick

Totally agree with Mick on this. The light switches can be wired directly into the power cord and left at an easy to reach height.

Ben

Archived