Tropheus and Heater question

Jake

Hi im looking into getting tropheus in the next few weeks for my tank which is a 6x18x18, filtered by a eheim 2026 and a aqua one cf1200 so my filtration should be okay ? also ive just set up another tank for my tangs so i can put tropheus in my 6 foot, and in my 6 foot i have 2 heaters but about 6 months ago i was using just 1 heater with no problems but i noticed my temperature was about 24-26c between winter with 1 but with 2 its at 26-27c during winter and im just wondering can i use one heater in the 6 foot tank so i can use the other for my new tank for the tangs? will it be okay for tropheus because in summer the tanks at about 26-27c with one heater. Thanks for any help :)

Cheers Jake

Hi im looking into getting tropheus in the next few weeks for my tank which is a 6x18x18, filtered by a eheim 2026 and a aqua one cf1200 so my filtration should be okay ? also ive just set up another tank for my tangs so i can put tropheus in my 6 foot, and in my 6 foot i have 2 heaters but about 6 months ago i was using just 1 heater with no problems but i noticed my temperature was about 24-26c between winter with 1 but with 2 its at 26-27c during winter and im just wondering can i use one heater in the 6 foot tank so i can use the other for my new tank for the tangs? will it be okay for tropheus because in summer the tanks at about 26-27c with one heater. Thanks for any help :)

Cheers Jake

Jake,

I would add a high powered internal filter for mechanical filtration. You can get cheap ones for $50 or less that do up to 2000lph. You just need to clean the sponges regularly. The benefit of having the second heater is that you have a backup if the other one breaks down. I have two in my tank and the second one is set half a degree lower so it only kicks in if the other one was to fail for some reason.

Dave (Moliroman) will probably recommend heaps more filtration!!!

Cheers

Shane

Hi Jake,

your tank volume is 365L so u need enough filtration to filter this volume 8-10 times per hour ie. 3000-3600lph total...

your 2 canisters combined have a total filtration capacity of 2200lph so as Shane has recommended u should get another filter.

i had used internal filters in the past but got sick of cleaning the filter wool every week.

u could use a HOB filter like the aquaclear 500 instead or even add another filter like an Eheim 2217..

However, if your nitrate levels at the end of the week before water changes is low then your filtration may be enough. Also what is important is to do weekly 50% water changes.

in terms of heating, it is generally recommended to use 1 watt of heating power per litre of water so in your case you need 365W...

in summer very often u don't even need a heater so i guess one should be enough..

to be on the safe side i would have 2 as a backup just in case ;) !

u can get cheap reliable heaters at one of our many sponsors.

hth

Dave

Hi thanks for the help MoliroMan and Kilroy much appreciated ill get another heater for the other tank and ive got a power head that used to be in the tank that i removed when i got the aquaone so ill use that

Cheers Jake

Guest parallel

Another fellow T's got suck in by Dave :clap:clap than again I'm one of them as well.

Good luck Jake. I got a colony of Ilangi and you will definitely can't get your eyes of them once you tasted the T's bugs.

Cheers

Parallel

:lol3: yeh ive been reading that tropheus pic thread and seeing them pics have got me into them aswell and ive always liked them but didnt have a spare tank and i got another tank now haha so i can get tropheus and im really liking the Ilangi :)

Cheers Jake

Archived