changing pumps for Eheim 2250/2260?

MoliroMan

Hi Guys,

i have a Eheim 2250 and 2260 and was wondering if it is possible or even recommended to change the pump to something more powerful?

thx

Dave

Dave if I do nothing more than BUMP this one for you, let me know if you want to get rid of the eheims!!!

Cheers

Shane

i think maybe u guys are misunderstanding what i am asking :lol3: so i will be more specific.

the 2250 comes with a pump rated at 1200lph.....if i change it to a pump at 2400lph would it reduce the efficiency of the filter???

Shane...if i ever have an Eheim i don't want, i will be sure to contact u first!!! ;)

i think maybe u guys are misunderstanding what i am asking :lol3: so i will be more specific.

the 2250 comes with a pump rated at 1200lph.....if i change it to a pump at 2400lph would it reduce the efficiency of the filter???

Shane...if i ever have an Eheim i don't want, i will be sure to contact u first!!! ;)

Do you mean replacing the pump inside the 2250 and 'overclocking' the crap out of it?

Do you mean replacing the pump inside the 2250 and 'overclocking' the crap out of it?

that's how I read his first post - remember though as flow rates go up, mechanical filtration goes up with them but biological filtration goes down.

So if you want to do it to one "mechanical" cannister per tank it's probably a good idea (if possible) but doing it to all of them might have unexpected drawbacks.

Then again, you do run 11ty billion filters in parallel don't you Dave? :lol2:

there would have to be an optimum flow rate for bacteria to survive: enough oxygen (more flow) with enough time with the food (less flow)

in the larger area of any filter chamber, the water flow slows down compared to the speed of the flow in the pipes in & out of the filter - this flow would be what eheim have optimised - so bucket & pump sized would theoretically be matched to meet this speed of water passing over the media.

Kinda like an intercooler in a turbocharged car in a way if you think about it.

Archived