2 questions

keleher

when putting a tank on a frame is it best to have one big bit of poly or can you cut it into strips and just put them where the tank makes contact with the stand?

also what do people use to make the back of their tanks black. iv tryed contact but it didnt turn out the best. iv got some black roof tile paint, would it be worth trying that?

cheers james

Putting it only on the surfaces that contact the tank is fine, outside of those the foam (obvisouly) isn't supported and won't be doing anything...

People use paint, fabric, cardboard etc. for their tank backings. I used contact to black out the install work for my 3D background but I wouldn't think seeing the the sticky side would work too well - as you have discovered. You will have to find out from others what paint they use, but I would guess something that's water proof.

Benefits of fabric and cardboard is that you can change it if you get bored one day, but the effect might not be as great as with a painted finish.

I use black sheets on one of those springy curtain lines. The fabric gives a bit of texture to the background. But you also get watermarks on the glass from splashing, so you might need to get behind to clean it. I dont need to as I also have a short curtain under my hood behind the lights, so the very back of the tank is in shadow. Makes the black plumbing and cords invisible and adds depth. Also stops algae on the back glass where it's hard to clean.

Overall the tank is darker than most peoples, but I like it, worth thinking about.

I use black spray paint (on the outside...). Cheap and easy.

Cheers

Steve

the roof paint is out now ill need about 50 coats to get it decent. iv tryed spray paint before but coz the tanks have a window on the back of them the paint cracks after a few weeks. might give that black plastic they use to make slabs a shot.

james

Archived