Giant Gourami with disease

MOPARDEVIL

I picked up a small Giant Gourami about a month or so ago & a few days after I have had it, it has formed a pinkish wound on its back, just behind its eyes. I treated it with Promythosol for a week & the it seemed to get bigger. I took it to my lfs because I have never seen anything like it before & was told to treat it melafix. I did so for over a week & it got bigger still. I had some Myxazin in the cupboard & have tried that for over a week now. Again the pinkish spot has gotten bigger still & now there is another small spot forming next to it. The fish seems heathly & even growing so its rather strange.

I went to an aquarium shop today & saw that a few of there G.Gouramis have the same thing & he wasnt sure what it was either. He did say to treat it with Sterazin so Ill give that a go. Im wondering if anyone else picked up a G. Gourami lately & is having the same trouble as there seems to be a fair few Giant Gouramis around at the same size at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appricaited as it is a month later & still havnt gotten to the bottom of it.

Oh btw, water parameters are fine & the fish is by itself & I have salt in the water as I do with all my tanks.

Thanks

Greg

Hi,

I "rescued" one a few years ago from the aquarium shop where I worked. I was covered in ulcer type sores and I put it into a tank at home. All I added was salt. It mended. Without knowing if your disease / wound source is viral or bacterial, it's hard to suggest a remedy. All the time you are adding these medications, you are hurting your microbacterial population. In my experience, I have found Giant Gouramis to be pretty hardy. Make sure your water condition/parameters are good so that you don't add stress to the situation. By the way, they love vegies, so maybe increasing a variety of foods will aid.

merjo

Archived