Canon vs Nikon

Camo

Hey all,

After going to a place this afternoon and having a talk to this person about his camera as i seen some of his shots hanging on his wall, he tells me he shoots with a Canon EOS 10d. He the said if i was to buyt another DSLR it would be a nikon as he said that nikon take much sharper shots and canon shots are to soft and need constant photoshopping. He also said that the focus on nikon slr's are much sharper than the canon brands.

Now i know there is Canon people and nikon people but what are your thoughts on this?

Cameron

I would also be interested, my dad is looking into buying an SLR and wasn't sure whether to guy for a canon or a nikon. He recently spoke to a photographer at an exhibition who recomended he buy a Nikon. The model he was looking at is the n90 I think.

Bruce

Yeah bruce most of the actual professional photographers i talk to say get a Nikon as they are super sharp but then most of the people on here say get a canon. Some models i like are the Canon EOS 30D and the Nikon D200 which looked to be a fantastic camera when i read over the specs. So i guess for me its the 30D vs D200. He he.

Cameron

Hi Cameron,

this Nikon vs Canon argument has been debated ad nauseam in most photography forums for ages now. It all comes down to personal choice in the end.

What that photographer said is true in a way.....the reason why Nikons look sharper is because there is a lot of in camera post processing unlike the Canon.

People who go into digital SLR photography have to get it in their head it is not like getting a point and shoot digital camera.....u need to do some work with the digital "film" to get it to look great - it is analogous to film photography where the developer fiddles with the film media to get the final photo. When u take your film to the developer, u never see what they actually do to the film to get it to the finished product.

You can get tac sharp photos with a Canon DSLR but u need to make sure u get all the parameters correct - focus, f stop, shutter speed and light levels. The Nikon is what i have heard a lot more forgiving.

So again the choice comes down to you unfortunately.

hth

Dav

Ps. have u noticed a lot of professional photographers, especially sports photographers do use Canon since their lens choice is simply outstanding!!

I can't compare Canon to Nikon because i've never used a Nikon, but I dare say that no matter which DSLR you get, you won't be disappointed with the quality.

But like MoliroMan said, Canon's lens choice is simply amazing.

Yes the canon can take over 50 compatible lenses. Mind you most of these are well over the $1000 mark. He he.

Maybe i should ring around and get different opinions on both camera's. Then go and try them out for myself.

Thanks dave and matty.

Please slr owners keep posting the more posts on this topic the better and clearer it becomes.

Cameron

Whenever you go to an event, say the Australian open tennis etc, you'll just see an array of white lenses. All the pro's use canon for a reason.

Im not saying Nikon is bad, its upto you, the user to feel confident that the particular camera you have chosen will get the job done for you.

Some models i like are the Canon EOS 30D and the Nikon D200 which looked to be a fantastic camera when i read over the specs. So i guess for me its the 30D vs D200

In that case have a look at DP Review. That page should give you an idea of what each camera is capable of (just make sure your monitor is properly calibrated).

My brothers canon dslr is awesome. Then again my point and shoot Nikon, whilst not in the same ball park, is a great little camera. Again I cannot compare, but I am planning on getting a dslr in the future and the canon makes a great arguement.

Adam

I love doing processing in PS after shooting in RAW with my canon 350D.

Whats the point in getting such a good camera if you're not willing to process it properly in photoshop etc

all the photos ive taken in auto mode turned out pretty nice aswell.

Love my canon 350D :wub

They are both good options. I have used both - both can take a good sharp shot. Saying that Canon is not as sharp as Nikon is bollocks.

I chose my Nikon bacause i preferred the way it felt in my hand and the fact that the D70 could shoot a wireless flash in commander mode and the Canon equivalent available at the time could not.

I don't know the digital SLRs available now, so my opinion is possibly bollocks.

The commercial studio I used to work for (retired pro photographer here - saw the light and earning potential and turned into a businessman) used 35mm Nikon for product shots and Canon for people work for reduced cost work. The reason that the boss gave for that was that Canons made people look better.

More serious stuff was on either Hasselblad 500CM, etc or 5 x 4 and 10 x 8 Horseman, Cambo and the like.

I chose Nikon for my personal kit because it was able to take more abuse in the field and the genuine lenses didn't grow fungus / mould internally so quickly in severe tropical conditions (think Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, etc).

HTH.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived