Cycling with snails?

Unnatural_Selector

This is a kind of odd question, but has anyone tried cycling a tank with mystery/apple snails?

A bloke from work has setup a tropical tank, I was just telling him about the ammonia cycle (as the shop didnt!). Anyway I told him to start putting food in with no fish. He's not interested in taking fish back to the shop (ie. wont use goldfish) so I was wondering if I could give him some of my snails to help get it started, anyone see any problems with this? I'm assuming they're hardier than your average tropical fish.

This is a kind of odd question, but has anyone tried cycling a tank with mystery/apple snails?

A bloke from work has setup a tropical tank, I was just telling him about the ammonia cycle (as the shop didnt!). Anyway I told him to start putting food in with no fish. He's not interested in taking fish back to the shop (ie. wont use goldfish) so I was wondering if I could give him some of my snails to help get it started, anyone see any problems with this? I'm assuming they're hardier than your average tropical fish.

Mystery snails do not handle Nitrite very well at all they will dye long before a lot of fish will :B

cya

Rat

Archived