Painting tank background

OziOscar

Hello!

I've finally given up on putting card backgrounds on my tanks (black art card or black mounting board) and want to paint it black (OK - Rolling Stones fans relax :) ).

Can anyone recommend a one-coat, fast-drying black paint?

The material I bought at the hardware shop is slow drying (16 hours between coats) and even then the new coat seems to lift the original coat off to some extent (at 28+ hours). The result is OK - but it's a touch slow for my preference.

And... is rolling or brushing better? :)

Cheers - OziOscar.

I used normal interior wall paint for my tanks. It's water-based paint and I cannot remember how long it took to dry between coats.

I've used brushes and rollers in the past, they both work.

Don't stress too much if it looks pretty bad from the back. Once you turn the tank around and put some light in front of it you wont believe how good it looks!

I too use regular interior water based paint. Most of it was left over from painting the baby room.

As for drying time, point a pedestal fan at the back of the tank after each coat and it's good to paint again after about 30 minutes - an hour. A blow heater would work even better.

I use a small foam roller to apply the paint as it leaves a seamless finish.

and no harm to the fish

Are you painting the inside? I always paint the outside of the tank.

Another thing I forgot to mention is a product called ESP (i think that's it). You wipe it onto the glass, allow it to dry, then paint. It helps the paint stick to the glass better.

Here's what I do.

First I use ESP, it's a wipe on then wipe off kinda deal. As Baz said it makes paint stick to shiny surfaces.

I then paint several coats of paint allowing drying time between coats. I use a roller, they leave a much better finish in my experience than brushes.

Jamie.

and no harm to the fish

Are you painting the inside? I always paint the outside of the tank.

Another thing I forgot to mention is a product called ESP (i think that's it). You wipe it onto the glass, allow it to dry, then paint. It helps the paint stick to the glass better.

From the outside.

Archived