Auto rotating powerhead?

zerospel

Hey guys,

Im after a powerhead that rotates automatically by itself, that is changing direction left to right to sweep the entire tank (a bit like a pedestal fan)

If anyone could tell me the options id really appreciate it ;)

Thanks

just note that both the SCWD & the Flo will make backpressure on the pumps to mave their switching mechanism working - which basically means the pump will flow a lot less than it normally would, think of them the same as having a bit of head height

hmm that is a good point but i dont think the flo will restrict the flow of the water as much as the SCWD one would as the flow is contantly rotating, not switching.

i wonder by how much it slows the water flow down by, that sort of pressure wouldnt be good for filter pump! i would be interested to hear from people who have purchased it and what they think!

All the same, those hydor bioflos are really quite cool. They have a little gearbox in them so the flow rotates slowly. Hph bought one ages ago and we had it at work.

hmm that is a good point but i dont think the flo will restrict the flow of the water as much as the SCWD one would as the flow is contantly rotating, not switching.

i wonder by how much it slows the water flow down by, that sort of pressure wouldnt be good for filter pump! i would be interested to hear from people who have purchased it and what they think!

I think you're right, the flos are less restrictive, but the SCWD is designed to be out of tank with two returns to the tank so it's less intrusive.

Regarding the backpressure, if you raise the filter up off the floor as high as you can you've saved some head height so then you can afford to lose some to the mechanism. ;)

mianos: Are the little gearboxes enclosed so nothing could clog them? theoretically they'd be in the cleanest part of the water column (post-filter) but still sludge builds up in the filter tubes doesn't it? How long did you see that one in action & was there any maintenence needed? I've been thinking of trying them for ages but keep forgetting to tack one onto an order :B

The gearbox is not enclosed. Ours pretty much gets clogged up every 2 weeks or so , but mind you it was in a marine tank. I suspect it will be less in a FW setup. The zoomed powersweeps are the same and requires dismantling at regular intervals to clear any gunk which gets caught up in the gears.

have heard the SWCD is much better but havent try it personally.

Archived