african cichlid

brent

Large: Dimidiochromis sp. (kwinge, dimidiatus, strigatus, compressiceps)

medium: Phenochilus sp. or electra sp. (Tanzania/mdoka/likoma)

small: Lamprologus sp. (too many to list)

Many more to choose from.

Best of Luck and welcolme!!!

I'd not recommend many of the fish above (except maybe Hongi and other Labidochromis spp.).

Do you mean lake malawi cichlids?

If so I'd recommend Ps. saulosi. MANY malawi cichlids are quite aggressive and not good (IMHO) for people starting out.

If you want a lake Tanganyikan cichlid - I'd recommend Julidochromis.

Yes as said most labidochromis species are relatively easy to breed. Labidochromis species are also extremely good parents which is a big plus if you are just starting out.

Instead of checking out the petshops why not try the classifieds on this site. I am sure there would be heaps of breeders of labidochromis species such as electric yellows and hongi

HTH

Cameron

I think most malawi cichlids arent good in tanks smaller than 3'.

I'd recommend Julidochromis spp. or Neolamprologus multifasciatus. Alternatively, kribensis or Anomalochromis thomasi would be good choices.

Yeah for a 2ft i'd definately agree with yew and say go with a pair or trio (1m 2f) of multis. they'd be one of the easier shell dwelling cichlids to source that arent too hard to pair or breed. most other lake tang african cichlids (unless a pair already) would run into agression problems in a tank that small.

Archived