Eheim Jagers leaking?

MoliroMan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i personally would use a 300watt jager because of the amount of heating coil/length. i do notice that the heater lights are on alot more when i use those Aquaone or tronic or rena. i know im being a bad boy but all my heaters are submerged in the water and i havent have any problems for years. i get the occasional heater breaking down but not jager! only once and that was a new one i bought for only 1 week!

Anthony, you will be happy to know, it wasn't a representative of Auburn who made any comments to me woot.gif

Also, I agree with Dave, its good to see that someone came forward with the correct information, from an offical position, and got involved in some healthy debate.

I understand that the catalogue itself says they are fully submersible. yes.gif

It seems to me from the comments written that if they were made in a vacuum, then all these water comments (water gets in when the heater heats then cools, heating the trapped air)... would be history. Jaggers are sold world (Europe, USA, Australia….?) wide, and the additional cost if this was included in the manufacturing, I would think would be negligible, considering they are already much more expensive to purchase.

I'm using Aqua Ones at home now, and I've not had any trouble with them. From what I have read, Jaggers may be better, but to pay four times the price (if this amount reported is correct), seems a lot to pay for a heater that still lets water in it.

Good on you Anthony, for putting up Aquatopia’s reply thumb.gif , but perhaps Aquatopia should take a leaf out of NLS book, and reply to the thread itself. wink2.gif

As consumers, wether there is an issue or not, will come down to wether people consider there is an issue or not, and not if there actually is one or not….

I’ll still be waiting 10 years before I buy one again, there is too much controversy over them still. blink.gif

Craig

It seems to me from the comments written that if they were made in a vacuum, then all these water comments (water gets in when the heater heats then cools, heating the trapped air)... would be history. Jaggers are sold world (Europe, USA, Australia….?) wide, and the additional cost if this was included in the manufacturing, I would think would be negligible, considering they are already much more expensive to purchase.

That doesn't make much sense, if water gets in to the heater already then what use is making them in a vacuum if they're not air tight already? I know there is pressure forcing the air out as it expands and sucking water in as it contracts again, but given that the the molecules in air are so small they could easily diffuse into the heater's 'vaccum'.

The way I read the sealing system - if there was a vaccuum inside the heater then the negative pressure would suck air or water past the seal anyway & make the whole vaccuum assembly an expensive waste of time

perhaps if they were nitrogen gassed, as it experiences much less thermal expansion than just "air" alone - but still any pressure difference will get past the seals & make that pointless too, the way I read it.

edit: so yeah, I just repeated what schmuck said blush.giflaugh.gif

This is the reply that I received...

We are aware of this occurring in the range of Jager heaters, I have

attached for you a document that was distributed to all our EHEIM

dealers providing information regarding this issue.

If after reading this document you are unsatisfied and still have

concerns with the operation of your heater simply return it to the place

of purchase, with your proof of purchase for either an exchange or

refund.

Kind regards,

Lou Kent

Aquatopia Sales

The attachment is a pdf document and I don't know how to post it here, but essentially it repeats what Anthony has already said.

Andrea smile.gif

• 2 months later...

Over the past year or so I have read scores of comments from fishkeepers who have had Jager heaters fail on them, usually in the ON position, and in many cases cooking their entire tank full of fish.

Some of those comments can be read here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/view_...view.php?id=289

While I understand that any make of heater can fail, and I too was once a big Jager fan, I now use Visitherm Stealth heaters. http://www.aquariumsystems.com/StealthAD.htm

No glass, so no worries about glass breaking in the tank.

Having said that, I don't personally trust any make or model of aquarium grade heaters 100%, and in tanks where I simply can't afford to lose the fish, I run the heaters through a controller unit, such as this: (I use the TC-250)

http://www.saltycritter.com/medusa-controllers.htm

HTH

2 days ago, I just had a BRAND NEW Eheim Jager 250w set at 25C, overheat and cook my rare fish. Water was 33C. It was a good thing I had the spray bar above the water level and the Eheim 2217 was pumping out so much water into the tank it was creating so much oxygen into the 4ft tank.

Still had 4 losses. :(

Only used the heater about 5 days! Will be back to the shop for a warranty this weekend! :angry:

Just curious, has anyone had any real problems with the Jagers? i.e. overheating, underheating, electrocution?

I installed a 250 watt Jager in a 300 liter tank and it would not hold 30 deg C in the winter or even now in spring in an insulated fish room that does not drop below 15C at night and often hits 25c on sunny days.

A bit dissapointing as I was sold the Jager as more efficent.

In the end used another 200w stainless steel heater with external thermostat to keep 30c in the tank and yes there is condensation in the heater, despit doing as i was told to leave it in the tank for ten minuites before turning on the power.

Archived