Rocks: Make your own (003)

zappy

Has anyone tried using Hebel blocks formed into rock backgrounds? They seem ideal, they are light easily shaped with woodworking tools.

What type of paint could you use on them to change their plain white colour?

Hi Zappy,

Craig is correct on both accounts. The cement content will raise the pH and hardness, but if the aquarium will house fish requiring those parameters, it won't matter. This type of construction is clearly unsuitable for a soft water aquascape.

You need to fill, flush and empty the tank several times to remove excess residue before setting it up for your fish. I have coated styrofoam backgrounds with cement, sprinkled sand on the surface and used dye for colour. This model remained unsealed.

Resin or fibreglass will seal the structure. If you are worried about the concrete secretions, you can throw sand into the resin before it dries to maintain the integrity of a "stone" appearance. Keep a check on the parameters until they stabilise.

If you wish to construct something for a soft water environment, then use something like Spray Decor, which has been manufactured especially for that purpose. You can create any shape you want...with patience...

My Webpage

HTH

merjo

i spose this is a similar topic...

was just thinking today that it would b cool if i could make my own rocks for my tank, that way i can get the exact shape i would like and best functionality i can out of them. is this possible, and if so is it economical and effective? and how do you do it?

has anyone had any experience with it?

dave

• 7 months later...

Archived