DYI 2ft Rock Background

jefflid

Howdy all,

I couldn't post this in the relevant area, so I thought what the heck, I'll post it here. Essentially this is my first attempt at a 2ft background. It consumes some tank space, but I reckon it looks pretty good for a first timer. As you can see it's not complete yet (I had to hack at it to get it in), but it gives you the idea. Let me know what you guys think, I'm always keen to get feedback on my DYI jobs.

Cheers

user posted image

user posted image

Nice job. that the best DIY ive seen.

Is it polystyrene? what did you coat it with and how did you colour?

Cheers for the thumbs up. It is polystyrene, and it's been sealed with a pond sealant available from all your good local bunnings stores. The sealant comes in that sandstone colour, so I didn't have to do anything. I didn't take a heatgun to it like I've seen many people do, I like the texture of the ruff cut polystyrene.

fogot to ask what did you cut it with?

Believe it or not, all the cutting was done with a trusty steak knife out of the kitchen draw and one of those little tec screwdrivers, the small ones like you use for tightening screws on sunnies. Keep a vac handy too, trust me - it gets damn messy!

I love it, looks very natural, I especially like those two small rock attachment things. So it's just primer on the polystyrene?

Bruce

Geez, if that's a first attempt you'll be making a mint from them if you refine the art!

Jees......I'm starting to get the impression that I've done a half decent job! Thanks for all the feedback, it's made me want to go and have another go (now that I know what I'm doing).

To answer your question Bruce, it's a pond sealer that I stumbled upon at my local bunnings - I thought to myself, what could be better than something that is fish safe and seals in everything it covers and doesn't need to be coloured!

There is a downside to the whole process - it does consume a little bit of tank space. The foam is about 10cm deep so keep that in mind when you have a go. In hindsight, I would probably cut the foam down to about 6 - 7cm deep and then hack away at it. This tank will end up being a nursery more than likely, I'm sure fry would love the little gaps and hidden caves in the bottom.

The tricky bit is the corner where the filter goes, but with a bit of practice, you can make a pretty good looking over hang section that looks like it belongs there and serves a functional space as well. The heater cut out is nice and simple (thankfully).

I've got to wait for another 7 days for it to completely cure and then another 3-4 days for the silicone to dry, but once it's got subtrate in there, some water, and some fry looking for a home, I'll post up another pic to give you all a look.

Once again thanks for all the thumbs up on my first DIY. It makes this hobby worth the time and effort when other people appreciate your work. Soon my 2 tier stand that I'm building will be stained and put in it's trophy site in my loungeroom, so stay tuned. Maybe I'll attempt a 4ft background next......... In the meantime, enjoy the pic of one of my newest community tank members. Anyone want to guess what it is? (Like it's hard).

user posted image

Cheers Ray.

You do raise an interesting point though that I forgot to put out there. If anyone is interested in buying something like this, then shoot me a PM. The materials cost around $50 so say add another $30 on top for labour and I'd be happy to make it. I'm currently playing around with using different coloured sands to give the whole thing a more of a natural look, so I'll keep you all posted on how that goes.

Sounds like a good idea mate, I'm sure a few punters around here would be keen. Just be aware that you'll be asked to make backs quite a bit larger than 2 foot, of course what you do is up to you.

Good luck with it,

Jamie.

Sounds like a good idea mate, I'm sure a few punters around here would be keen. Just be aware that you'll be asked to make backs quite a bit larger than 2 foot, of course what you do is up to you.

Good luck with it,

Jamie.

Again - another good point is raised - cheers Jamie.

The price I mentioned above was for a 2ft only and based ruffly on what the goods cost me about 3 months ago, so if the materials go up, so does the price unfortunately. Keep in mind too that this does take some time to complete, so it isn't an overnighter - the design and sculpting of my 2ft took me well over 3 weeks till i was happy, then there's the 7 days waiting for the sealant to dry so....

Keep the feedback coming though guys - it's awesome.

(To those that have PM'd me, I'll get back to you guys a.s.a.p).

If anyone is interested in buying something like this, then shoot me a PM. The materials cost around $50 so say add another $30 on top for labour and I'd be happy to make it.

Wow, $80 for my new 10x2.5x2 background...consider that a deal LOL.gif

Can i pick it up tomorrow?

(Joke)

Archived