Judge these cobalts

fiona

I have these two male cobalts. Actually there is at least one more but these are the two dominant ones. Cobalt 1 is dominant to Cobalt 2. 1 seems both lighter and brighter than 2, which is correspondingly darker, and a bit duller (not so much of the powder blue sheen) - dominance? Difference in underlying colour? I think 1 has been a bit lighter all the way through - one of the group was and I think it's this one.

Which do you prefer? Which would you keep as your dominant breeding male? And the reasons why?

Cobalt 1

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Cobalt 2

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Give me your opinions please.

I am under the impression that "cobalt" as a shade is generally darker. Probably darker than either of your fish. I imagine that this colour is what gave them their name initially? However, I don't really know what constitues a good fish, just letting you know what I *think* "cobalt blue" is as a colour.

Lovely fish by the way, regardless of how blue/dark they should be.

Duck I think you are right but the second one is closer to what I imagine cobalt would be. I got these from Lungy (Brisbane), and they are much darker/bluer than any others I have seen around Sydney (except for Baz's which also came from Lungy). There may be other dark/blue ones and if so I would like to know about it and maybe swap some breeding stock, but I haven't seen any like these so far.

However that said it may be that the brightness of 1 is because it's the most dominant. A couple of people have said they get lighter/brighter when they are dominant and the females are darker. So I thought I'd throw a couple of pics up for people to judge for themselves. I wouldn't want to cull a fish I should keep! wink.gif

Hi Fiona,

When I had cobalts, I found that the female, generally speaking, was a little darker than the males. I always kept the darkest male, hence I would choose the second fish because of the richer colour only. Apart from that, they both have good conformation.

merjo

Whats wrong with keeping both males?

I have 2 males and five females breeding constantly and no problems at all.

When the dominant male is no longer the best the subdominant male will then take over.

Regards Karen

I am thinking along the same lines as you duck ... remove #1 and see what happens to #2. I know there is at least one more male in there (and plenty females too) so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Kazza, I am wanting to breed the best possible ... so I would keep the best 2 males. Like you, I like to keep 2 males, so far of all the species I've kept 2 males and plenty of females is good and the males display even more, showing off in competition with each other. I haven't had any where the males kill each other (am avoiding the most aggressive species wink.gif).

Keep those comments coming folks! It's really useful for me.

Fiona

How do we define best two males. Why not let the girls choose their man.

I only have one cave in the tank and thats taken by the dominant male and then there are no territory fights.

Regards Karen

hey fiona...

Ive found that my alpha cobalt blue appears a lot paler than the second male who is a bit darker. The females are darker still! smile.gif

When the alpha male is displaying at the females he goes almost a pale grey! Awesome to watch!

Id think if your second male were to become the alpha male he would colour up similarly - ie. become more pale!

just some thoughts!

hope that helps!

Archived