Cycling my tank

Bruce

I remember that acclimatisation technique, it sounds similar to the one I said in my old topic called acclimatisation. My test kit tests for pH, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Is that all I need to test for? Also, is there any surefast way to test my water to see if it's tang quality.

Bruce

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nope, the kits can't tell ammonia from ammonium

Yes, I noticed on the ammonia test kit box tonight that it states NH3 and NH4. I have only ever used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits before, is it safe to assume at all "ammonia" test kits detect both ammonia and ammonium?

Will a UV sterilizer remove the tannins from my water? I used this type of sand in previous tanks and these rocks in the last tank and the only difference I can think of is that the last tank had a UV sterilizer. Also the sand probably went through a couple of rain showers. I have just noticed that my piece of fish and stocking with multi sand has developed a white fungus looking stuff around it, it looks like very soft jelly and sways with the water.

Bruce

Have you got them in the right order: Ammonia, Nitrites then Nitrates?

the cycle is sorted when theres...

ammonia=0

nitrite=0

nitrate=something

you're half way, next day or two the nitrite should drop - then she's done.

I haven't written them there in the right order. In the next day or two it'll start dropping or it'll be gone?

Bruce

nope, not till the nitrite is gone.

then you can add whatever you plan to keep for good OR keep feeding it food/fish/prawn until you do get fish.

no need to put temporary residents in (unless you are keeping multis in there permanently)

I think my multies might go in there permanently, why do I need to keep feeding the tank with no fish in there if the cycle is done?

Bruce

nope, adding more bacteria won't achieve anything - once you have it cycled you have to keep it cycled

Ok, after all the parameters are fine how do I know it'll be ok? Is there are sure way to tell without risking my fish?

Bruce

um, you do a fishless cycle to avoid harming the fish dude - once the ammonia & nitrite are gone totally for two consecutive days I'd do a waterchange for the nitrate & add the fish.

You've pretty much done everything to look after them at this point.

Ok, so I'll do a 20% water change? Then put the multies in. They are getting around 50 neothauma shells so they'll be happy.

Bruce

Yeah, I'll wait until nitrite is 0. Then I'll slowly acclimatise them using the drip method with a bucket.

Bruce

Bruce

Just listen to what the others are saying. There is no need to do a water change. Give it time to work naturally.

Josh

These things work in their own time. You filled your tank 3 days before I did mine and I'm still waiting on the ammonia peak! Don't even ask me for nitrite or nitrate readings, they haven't even registered yet...

Doing a water change with your nitrite readings peaking will definately lower the nitrites by diluting them, not by the bacteria that break this down doing their job. It's also probably going to set your cycle back and give you false hope that you are almost done.

I know it's exciting getting a new tank, I ended up with a noticable scratch in the front of mine and also almost electrocuted myself as I was rushing things. Just take a chill pill and sit down in front of your multies in their current tank and enjoy them.

Hi Bruce

Just be patient. I have just cycled my 550ltr tank and it took exactly 28 days using 10 comets and heavy feeding. Don't change any water. I tested the water every day and logged the readings as I had never followed the progress of a tank cycle before. It works exactly the way it says it does in books! I had ammonia after 3-4 days and nitrites after 14-15 or so days. Once the nitrite peaked and reduced to zero I did a massive water change, sent the comets back to the LFS and introduced my tangs.

Have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and water changes take care or nitrates.

Must say it is a worthwhile experience. The less you interfere with the process the better.

Cheers

Edas

Archived