Cycling my tank

Bruce

No, I haven’t. Can I add a dead prawn or something as this may provide ammonia? What about something like a piece of ham or some fish food? Will the cycle be wasted?

Bruce

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fish food/prawn asap

dirty rotten bait prawn that's already past it would be best

well now it's morning, do you get an ammonia reading or any nitrite/nitrate readings?

if yes, it's working - add similar amount daily

if not, add more

Dammit, I woke up to find it all gone, my filters are doing what they are supposed to.

Edit: Ammonia is still 0.5, I'll put it in a stocking this time.

Bruce

I just got home and tested water again. Ammonia is the same but nitrates are now 10ppm. Nitrites have also gone up to 2.0ppm. I chucked in a piece of fish aswell as some fish food. I also have a bottle of stresszyme, should I add that?

Bruce

Hi mate. The conversion of ammonia -> nitrates -> nitrites is called the cycle. This involves bacteria. Now, if they don't have a food source (ammonia) they will die ! (It's like throwing looking up a few billion of us in a room without any food).

I suggest you add nitrogen sources. The best being small amounts of pure ammonia.

I do not think adding stresszyme will help you.

Mitch

What are some nitrogen sources? I just remembered that the seafood shop up the road sells live fish for eating, barras and silver perch for about $10 each. Should I get two of these?

Bruce

The food you are putting in there should suffice the bacteria, providing you are putting in enough to create a large enough bio load. I would keep going with what you are doing at the moment (add in food and monitor stats) and only put the Stress-Zyme in just before you add the fish.

Most of all, just be patient...

your fish food is a nitrogen source

the fact that you have ammonia & nitrite readings means it's working/starting. just keep doing what you're doing & don;t add fish until the ammonia & nitrite read zero & you get only nitrate.

how much would you feed to the fish? thats how much.

you're only trying to simulate the breakdown of the food that you'll be feeding live fish without subjecting live fish to the ammonia

Ok, well there is a bite size piece of white fish fillet in there atm. What can I use to quicken the cycle?

Bruce

The answers are already in the thread for you:

Get tank water parameters stable (Seachem salts will go a long way towards that), including temperature.  Make sure all systems are operating, add Aquasonic's Nitrosomona and Nitrobactor, as you put the fish in.  Cycle time = immediate.

If your friend can spare a sponge or some bio-media out of the filter, put it into your sump directly.  (as per Craig's advice)  Actually when are you adding fish?  don't put your buddy's filter media into your filter until the day before or earlier on the day you stock the tank.  Throw some of your multi sand into your tank if you like, every little bit helps (even if only by placebo).

Hey bruce,

If you want you can swap some bioballs with some of mine that are mature.

not at all, why would it?

I suppose the piece of fillet could maybe get stuck in the impeller if it was sucked up? stick it under a rock

bruce dont put your mates cannister on you want to cycle your filter ,his will just take all the waste itself,the fact that you have a rising nitrite level shows you have already established a colony of nitrobacter keep up the daily feeding of flake or whatever and moniter the nitrite it should peak soon and then start to drop,put in the stresszyme if you like it wont hurt

not at those levels I wouldn't think, but as RDman said it'll probably slow the cycling of your mini-reef.

leave his cannister on his tank & just wait for the cycle to finish

Ok, so I'll chuck my friends canister on there tonight.

You wouldn't want to put the whole canister on your tank, you would add some of his established media to your filter or do the swap of some bio balls with African.

BUT as the others have said, if you are getting nitrite readings then the cycle is underway and if you do something now you are probably more likely to set yourself back. Keep doing what you are doing...

These things take time, just sit back and let it take it's course.

Ok, I'll just let it happen. The water is kinda yellow from the sand. How can I clear this up? The filter has bioballs, wool and coarse black foam.

Bruce

Sand and some sandstone, the water isn't dusty. It just has a yellow tinge. Will doing a waterchange help the water aswell as the cycle?

Bruce

Water change will probably slow the cycle down.

if the colour is suspended particles it will fade over a couple of days. If it doesn't put some activated carbon to try and absorb the pollutant colouring the water.

do you have any wood in the tank? could be tannins leaching.

if so, put in some carbon as Jon suggested.

Archived