Cycle®

noyd

I'm using some of this stuff, because I had a bit of a ammonia and nitrite problem, once I use this as directed, would I have to keep using it from now on, once the problem is gone? Or will my tank adapt to it and build up the beneficial bacteria it self?

Cheers

hiya.

I used this stuff extensively about 2 months ago when I set my tanks up. I had some big time ammonia and nitrite spikes and they were a real pain. I used about 2 litres of this stuff all up, but never lost a fish (in 6 tanks). once the spikes were gone though I have not used it again and had no issues

all this stuff does is add benefical bacteria to your system. this means that your populations will grow much faster, and get to work in that nitrogen cycle. once your spikes are gone though it means you have enough bacteria for the fish in your tank. its helpful to add it whenever you add new fish, just to make sure you dont get a spike, but I wouldn't class it as essential unless you are adding a large number to one tank. as for ongoing, up to you but I have never found it to be essential in the past.

hth

You don't even have to use Cycle; just get a filter from an establised tank, and you are just about immediately cycled. All Cycle is suppose to be is a bacterial culture, which you can readily get for free from an established tank.

Or plant heavily, and you'll also not get any ammonia or nitrites.

I've tried Cycle, filter from established tank and heavily planted tank, and they all work. The only problem was the heavily planted tank had a Nitrogen deficiency, which I had to correct by adding more nitrate.

I use Amtrite down it's more concentrated and cost effective. Also when bying liquid bacterias from your LFS make sure that they are refridgerating the product so that is kept in a dormant state. Bacterias that have been opened and or stored incorectly will have become useless, you might as well use a cup of water! :p:

Correct Geoffagus

shelf life of less than 3 months unless refrigerated ..

Im no scholar <_<

But i still cant see how the stuff on the shelf would even have live bacteria, like live bacteria in a bottle warm shop, or warehouse , no food to feed bacteria IMO jsut buying water unless refrigerated

Unless some scientist would care to explain to me how its kept alive :88:

But i still cant see how the stuff on the shelf would even have live bacteria, like live bacteria in a bottle warm shop, or warehouse , no food to feed bacteria IMO jsut buying water unless refrigerated

Perhaps not alive in the normal sense, bur dormant; bacteria that form spores can live for a long time in hot & dry conditions, and even with some disinfectants.

If thats the case PHL why does the bacteria in a 'turned-off' filter die? And not go 'dormant?'

I have a theory that most of those 'bacteria boosters' are in fact a mild ammonia solution designed to create a small spike and thus increase the pre-existing nitrosoma/bacter populations.

Just a theory but I'm yet to see the science explained. :rolleyes:

Just a thought maybe someone can do an ammonia test about 5 minutes after adding those products, just to see if I'm right :)

nope, there is certainly live bacteria in there and quite a good deal of it too. I was a bit of a skeptic myself, so a few months back i took some into the lab and gave it a look under 400X magnification. From what i could tell there were at least two strains of bacteria going about their merry way in there.

cheers

VC

If thats the case PHL why does the bacteria in a 'turned-off' filter die? And not go 'dormant?'

I have a theory that most of those 'bacteria boosters' are in fact a mild ammonia solution designed to create a small spike and thus increase the pre-existing nitrosoma/bacter populations.

Some probably do go dormant, but not all, and probably not enough. Remember that Cycle is probably only two types of bacteria that are hardier, but in an established filter, those two may be outcompeted by others that are better at reducing ammonia and nitrites, but those may not be as hardy. Think of the bacteria in Cycle as the pioneer.

I've actually had a canister turned off for 8+ hours (guests who thought they'd be nice and turn "unused" power sockets off), and enough bacteira survived not to cause a spike.

Archived