Canister filter plumbing behind "latex" background

spedwards

the fact that you had to circle it shows its not too bad with that excellent back ground no-one will notice it but of course it'll always be the first thing YOU see when you look at the tank sad.gif

It looks great to me Cheers Couchy thumb.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, unfortunately I will always see it, but as the line of sight goes straight through the side panel (when looking on centre at the front) it shouldn't really be too noticable - I think I might have said that previously. Once it's filled with substrate, water, fish etc., I don't think that anyone will ever pick up on it.

The picture of the scratch was taken after I first noticed it, this is before I gave it a quick polish with some toothpaste, I think that is has made a slight difference. When comparing the photos to the actual scratch it seems that the flash may have caused it to come up a lot more, when zooming on on the full resolution shot you can see a slight white line but only at the deepest part of the scratch.

I still want to try and do the most I can to make it less noticable and will hit it with the Dremel and some toothpaste tomorrow night.

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome. The only thing that you could have done better is the substrate. I think browninsh/reddish sand would have blended perfectly.

Just my 2c ! What's merjo think?

Mitch

I am now officially jealous, this slightly beats my little poster of rocks/plants stuck behind my tank lol, but when i do up my next tank, this is what i want it to look like smile.gif

What a great look, great tank, great work, and a great post!

It's all just ummmm..... GREAT!!! thumbup.gif

Thanks heaps for posting that Jon, it is a wonderful journey for us to all learn from.

I'm impressed with those rocks matching the background so well!

edit: enter it in the aquascape competition!

reminds me, I should take a snap of my display tank & enter it

Thanks for all the comments guys, it makes the job really worth while to hear them all!

These background may seem expensive, but all those wondering if they should get one I think that the proof is in these pictures. They really turn the tank into something else IMHO.

I must thank my wife for pushing me down this path. She has allowed me only one tank and said that it had to look good. Without those instructions I probably would have had a much simpler tank but now I'm glad that she insisted.

Ash, I too was very surprised at how well the rocks matched the background, it was just by chance that we managed to find some of that colour. The background was (and still is) holding on to a lot of tiny air bubbles which make it seem lighter than it really is, as these fall off it will match even more.

I hadn't thought about the aquascape comp, I'll put i up tonight. Thanks for the idea thumbup.gif

The tank looks good, though I myself would have gone for a similar coloured substate as was mentioned.

You've placed the rocks well, and they also blend in well, though given a bit of time submerged, even rocks that didn't blend so well would have toned in.

Good job, good job on the tank, and for the efforts of putting it on ACE.

Craig

Just regarding the substrate, it might look "too red" if you matched it to the background directly.

I had darker gravel in my tank with a latex background & though I initially loved it I've changed to a lighter sand (actual river sand, so a lot of grain size/colour variation, in the photo comp right after yours Jon) so it'll really depend on the fish you're stocking it with & whether there are plants as well for more contrasting colours.

my 2.2c Inc GST tongue.gif

• 1 year later...

I am doing a universal background over the weekend based on yours (well done by the way it looks great).

Just one question... do your strainers work well enough to allow the water presure out from behind the background?

How have you found the setup... does it work well?

I am concerned that I will get a pressure build up and it overflow out of the back of the tank if the strainers aren't working well enough.

The fish have been in the tank for about 14 months now and all seems well, everything is doing what it is supposed to and the fish seem quite happy.

The 4 outlets I cut into the background are more than sufficient i think, at about 3-4cm each they are much larger than the outlets direct from the canisters. I wouldn't be concerned about water overflowing, particularly if you are planning on completely sealing the background around the edges.

Archived