Canister filter plumbing behind "latex" background

spedwards

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking that it would be a good way to keep as much of the filter plumbing out of eyesight as possible and improve the look of the tank.

One aquarium I have talked to about it said they have done it using the soft tube behind the backing with a right angled elbow at the end through a hole cut in the background - which sounds pretty straight forward. Experienced advice and pictures always help though (if they are out there...)

Thanks

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been collecting / assembling things slowly, I have most of the plumbing supplies that I'll be needing and work should commence tonight. Basically the plan goes as follows:

* There will be 3 canister filters (Eheim 2213 & 2217 and some other ~1000Lph TBD) servicing a 340L tank.

* The two big filters will be pulling water from the bottom left and right of the tank, returning water to the tank through normal methods.

* The smaller one will draw water from the mid / top of the water column and push water back out from behind the background to prevent any water stagnation problems (probably involve a series of holes in the background covered by fly screen). Water will not be directed out of the background, rather it will run along the back of the tank and find it's own way out.

Basically will loo something like this (excuse bad ASCII art):

---------------------------------------
| I     i     i     i     i     i     |
|                            x        |
|                                     |
| X                                 X |

Where:

X = large filter extraction

I = large filter return

x = small filter extraction

i = small filter return

All plumbing for the bigger filters extraction and smaller filter return will be hidden behind the background - out of sight out of mind.

The other option I was thinking of was having the small filter return in the lower half of the tank:

| I                                   |
|                            x        |
|      i     i     i     i     i      |
| X                                 X |

I'll be starting putting this together tonight, so if anyone has any ideas or comments they would greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jon

Are you going to have the background siliconed right in so no fish can get behind it? I've thought about this sort of thing but never actually done anything about it

Yeah, it will be completely fish sealed - that's the plan anyway. I've got a tube or two of silicone ready to go but want to make sure i've not skipped over anything before I start cutting.

This POST has reassured me that some of the ideas aren't completely off the mark. The idea of putting some filter wool in the space is interesting me, but i'm not sure how feasble it would be as the tank has a glass lip running all the way round and would make access an issue.

I think just having the cannisters all drawing from infront of the "wall" returning behind the "wall" in general with verious flyscreened holes so the water can get out.

Forget putting media behind there if it isn't accessable. Hope Craig catches this thread & lets you know if he ended up doing it or not & if so how it went.

I'll do a flash murray MSpaint pic in a sec....

one sec has passed...

user posted image

Get it? this way all the space behind the background is being turned over

It's amazing what you can do in a sec!

thumb.gif

I like that idea, saves having any of the plumbing in view. I might hit Bunnings up tonight to see if they have something a little more fancy than fly screen that I can use.

The media was something that I though would be benefitial for the tank, but a real PITA for me. I was thinking about it on the way home and there is no way that I could have got it to work without gashing some big holes for access.

Well I've been busily working away tonight, a Dremel is a man's best friend!

I've only had one mishap due to tiredness (packing it in for the night now) where i wasn't paying attention and the Dremel kicked and grinding bit met glass. angry.gif Not very happy but what's done is done...

Here are some pics of the progress thus far (luckily I was wearing pants wink2.gif ):

Front of tank

user posted image

Side of tank

user posted image

Back of tank

user posted image

Outlet hole (back)

user posted image

Outlet hole (front)

user posted image

Intake strainer

user posted image

The outlet holes are covered with cupboard vents from Bunnings, 5 will be used for letting water back into the tank and 1 will probably get used as the intake strainer for the 3rd filter.

Pretty happy with things so far, but it's slow going as I don't want to make any holes too big. I hope the fish and the Mrs appreciate the effort!

After last nights incident I decided that it might be a good idea to work outside of the tank, it's funny the stupid things you do when you get a little exicted.

All holes have now been made, below is a picture all holey and drying after hosing down:

user posted image

I ended up with 3 outlets, 2 using Eheim strainers and one that will be fixed flush into the background with a cupboard vent over the top. And 4 inlets, the cupboard vents where a little larger (28mm holes) that I had though to use with the flyscreen idea so I cut their number down. I'll also be using a rain bar or flared outlet in the standard manor to keep up good water flow.

This is the same picture as above with the holes marked out:

user posted image

Once I get the tank washed out and dryed it will be time to crack open the silicone and go nuts...

Awesome stuff!

Just hope there's enough pressure behind the background to provide decent circulation but not enough to blow the silicone holding it in.

Are the returns from the big filters still going to be plumbed to the cupboard vents & then only the little filter will be presurising/turning over the behind background area?

I've got plenty of silicone and I'm not afraid to use it!

The 2213 (440L/hr) and another larger canister (probably one of the Pro Aqua units at 1200L/hr) will be pumping water in behind the background. The 2217 will pump back through either the rain bar or flanged outlet. Once it's all together I'll monitor how it all goes and make adjustments to flow or add another couple of cupboard vents if it seems like it's too much pressure.

The fish won't be coming for a while so I've got time to make sure it all goes to plan.

is that one that you made yourself?

No, this is one of the Universal Habitats ones called "The Canyon", it's a 4' x 2' background. There are many other options for various sized tanks, but this one it only available in this size. You can see what else they have available in their aquarium range HERE.

A website I found with instructions on how to install a similar sort of background mentioned a 6 pack as required equipment, I didn't have one but I did the best with the available supplies. The cans are being used to apply pressure while the silicone sets that holds the strainers onto the "standpipes" behind the background.

user posted image

Please forgive the distrcting reflections.

blush.gif

This shot give you a good idea of just how bloody big these things are, about 10" tall at highest point...

Sorry codyg, only the first part of that post was in response to you.

No, I did not make the background, it's a Universal Habitats one I bought from my LFS. See above for a link to their (Universal Habitats) site.

I've got the same background in my synspilum tank - though I put it in upside down because the colours (painted on algae) looked wrong the right way up on my particular example.

most cichlids tend to be mid-bottom dwellers anyway so I'm sure the way you've mounted it they'll still have plenty of room under the lump

also how did you get it in the tanks with the middle support?

That was one of the things I was going to add at the end to a "Things I've learnt" post. Basically you've just gotta get it in by twisting and turning. We went in with the larger end first with the bump facing out of the tank. We then slowly forced it in by bending the background edges down and with a little bit of encouragement it slide in.

A piece of advice that I can give we worked out by accident after it had been sitting out in the sun. The heat made a huge difference to the flexibility, I would highly reccommend leaving it out in the sun before trying to fit these sort of things into place - it makes for a much simpler install.

Below is a pic with most of the cupboard vents sitting drying after a generous glob of silicone:

user posted image

You will notice that there is a towel hanging from the top of the tank, with the tank on it's back it doesnt do much except get in the way, but when it's upright it covers the front of the tank. This is something else I will add to the "Things I've learnt" post, resting these background on the glass is a definate no-no, the towel was put in to prevent the background from making any scratches on the way back in. Fortunately I noticed some minor scratches early and with the mark I made with the Dremel it works out that these scratches are at the back now anyway.

Thanks Jamie and others, things are going very well at this stage. This is the final dry fit before I start the silicone work tonight.

Left side you can see the stand pipe for the canister outtake and two inlets, one will circulate water from the bottom of the tank and the other from mid water.

Right side has the other stand pipe and the outtake for the smaller cannister (this is the hose running from the middle of the tank), the third inlet will just hang over the other two U-pipes on this side. Still not sure if I will use the rain bar or flanged outlet yet...

user posted image

Excuse the flash flare as there was too little light to take the shot without.

One thing I have recently realised is that with all the U-pipes hanging over the back I won't be able to put the tank on it's back to silicone the background in place. I'll find some way to put the tank on an angle for the night, we might be sleeping without pillows tonight sad.gif

If you've got a table about a meter wide you could put it on that (with towels) & have the little bit on either end overhang. It'll be fine like that with virtually no weight in it.

Archived