final got hit, my krib is dying...

fecat

My 2 ft krib tank finally got hit. It was after the Super hot 45 C day and the temp of the water got a major fluctuation. Then the next day, my krib boy was effected by hole in the head disease. The girl seems to be fine. He is getting worse and worse everyday. I tried to raised the temp up and put salt in the tank, didn't help. I change 30 % of water everyday, didn't help. sad.gif

I can see the actual parasite sitting on my heater, which makes me really frustrating! angry.gif the parasite is like a worm, very small. I can not detect any parasite on the actual fish tho.

Another strange thing is that the tank has "one" mystery snail in there, and now I can see a lot of them. it bred by itself!!!!! shock.gifshock.gif How could that be??? They are tiny and there are about 30 of them everywhere. I am sure they are snail not parasite because it has the shell like thing.

What do you suggest i should do now. The krib looks really really weak, and his whole mouth is nearly destroyed. On top of the wound, it also got the fungus... sad.gif

I feel really sad and sorry by looking at him. The girl is really supportive as she keeps swimming around him.

Should I separate the girl so that she won't get the infection? Can the krib be saved?if so, how? Should i do a thorough clean of the whole tank? What about the snail??? Why the snail and the girl are not infected??? confused.gif

Also, I think one of my crown loaches in my 5 ft tank is hit by a white spot!!! how should I prevent the disease? I do the water change at least every fortnight. i thought it's sufficient enough...

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I suggest you should take out your krib boy and place him in the fridge...although it sounds very cruel but I think this is going to be the best option for him. sad.gif It sounds like he is having a secondary fungus infection apart from its hole-in-the-head disease, making it even more harder to treat with medicines.

However, I really doubt that the parasite that you saw on your heater was the one that caused the hole-in-the-head disease. It is because the "actual parasite" is invisible to human eye due to its microscopic size. Hole-in-the-head disease might not be caused by parasites, malnutrition might also cause this disease and so it might explain why your krib girl is not infected. dntknw.gif

If you don't want to freeze the boy, you can try to use Octozin as a base treatment for hole-in-the-head disease, while using fungus cure as another treatment for fungus disease. But the chance for recovery is predicted to be very low though... sad.gif

Hi Felix,

First of all, Hole in the head is difficult to cure, although it has been done before. I've cured HITH on my large Oscar with some salt and Octozin. Octozin is expensive and IMO, wouldnt' be worth to cure your male krib. You mentioned his mouth is almost entirely destroyed...do you see any white cottony fungus ? if so, it's cotton mouth disease. A quick Google search will provide you with some info.

As for the male krib, IMO, his time is up...just go get another male krib...they are relatively common. Heidi from Hurstville may still have some good quality kribs. Send her a PM.

Regarding your snail babies, snails can reproduce and lay eggs by themselves. I do believe they have both sexual organs and can therefore reproduce offspring. Correct me if i'm wrong.

You can treat whitespot with Protozin very effectively. Salt is also a good treatment. Turn your temperature up to about 28-30C. BUT MAKE SURE you increase oxygen levels by adding a few airstones and increase water surface agitation. The higher the temp is, the less oxygen level there is in the water.

You'd be better off treating the whole 5ft tank with Protozin. As your other fish would have caught it as well. You will need to do a gravel vac a few days after treatment to get rid of the eggs in the gravel. Protozin will only kill the disease when it is in its free and mobile stage. It will not affect the eggs. Continual treatment (as per instructions on the bottle) will ensure the newly hatched cysts (eggs) will be killed. Increasing the water temperature means speeding up the life cycle of the disease, therefore decreasing treatment time.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! thumbup.gif

thanks for the advices Nova and kribbie, Really appreciated.

Just to keep you guys updated. Well, I didn't kill him. I left him in the tank and leave the krib girl there as she seems fine. I change 30-40% of water every 3 days and put the Seachem lake salt.

His condition seems to be stabilized, not getting any better or worse. Although, as i stated before, his mouth was completely destroyed... He is just hiding in the log and doesn't come out. The cause of the disease I would say it is more likely a malnutrition issue. because they are such a picky eater! angry.gif they won't touch the colorbit, LFS, any other brand,etc... you name it. So I was just feeding them bloodworm.

Now I stopped the bloodworm and give them flakes instead. Lucky they eat the flakes, but not very eager compare to the bloodworm.

I notice he starts eating the flakes now. surpriseingly the symptom is not getting worse, so I might just give him a chance. Hopefully he can survive.

Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

Archived