Hair type algae?

Steve24

Hey experts, i seem to have lots of hair type algae on my plants, particularly the plants with big leaves,the hairs are small and brown and seem to eventually cover the while plant including stems etc, i have algae eating fish however i dont think they eat it, anyone know any fish that likehair algae?

Also what could it be a cause of, too much light or not enough light? i run 4 aqua glo type tubes inmy heavily planted 3foot tank, 4 tubes are 2 foot long so they are 18 watts each? thanx for any help oh and tank is 20inch deep if it matters

hmmm...I'm no expert but I do know that depths over 18inches are harder to grow plants.

I also know that conditions that siut Plants do not usually siut Algea.

How many hours per day are your light on and what is the nutrient level like in your tanks? How long have the plants been established?

G'day Steve,

I had a bad case of hair algae in a 6ft planted tank a few months ago.

One solution is reduce light to no more than 6 hours a day, increase water changes. Direct and indirect sunlight must also be avoided.

A flying fox is a natural eater of hair algae.

Be careful of the algae treatments on the market as some of them can increase you water hardness to astronomical levels.

A product I use (as well as reduced light) with great success is Agone. This product absorbs Nitrate and reduces algae.

BTW the main cause of algea is the same thing that your plants require: light & nutrients. The key is balance!

Good luck! :no:

The treatment for that is the Siamese Algae Eater, also known as the Siamese Flying Fox; DO NOT get a normal Flying Fox. Take a look through The Krib: Algae Eaters.

My bristlenose didn't seem to like that stuff, but when I got 2 common pleco's they started at it almost as soon as they hit the water. I think it's cause they are a fair bit bigger than BN's.

And they look so cool! :D

good luck

Archived